Which Vise???

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score

freeze69

Reaction score
I bought the renzetti traveler cam last year and love it. the only complaint that i have is with the carrying bag. they could've made it a little bigger. got it with the base and it's plenty stable. taking it to work tonight to show another guy at work how to use a whip finisher. my 2c. go with the renzetti.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've got a Dan Vise and it has served me well for about 5 years. If I were doing it again, I would get a renzetti traveler, but I think I may be afflicted with the "grass is greener" syndrome on this one.

I think either vise will serve you very well.

Joni

Reaction score
Renzetti Traveler. I have both the pedisatal and the clamp. It has so many accessories. I bought a extended body attachment for another vise and it works great on the R. Plus I have the cam and the thumb screw jaws. Cam is nice for fast change, but on more difficult flies I like the thumb screw so I don't hit the cam lever and drop the hook. I have had mine for 10 or better years and have replaced the "O" ring once, plus I e-mail Renzetti to find out where I could get the "O" ring and they sent me 5 with no charge. I should be good for a long time.
I can tie steelhead flies and also size 32's with no problem.
There are purdier vises out there, but they don't make the flies any better LOL

Trout Madness

Reaction score
I recently received my Nor-Vise. Moving from a Thompson A, I'm going through a learning curve as I transition to the NV. It's a bit like learning to use a sewing machine after years of hand sewing.

I chose the Standard NV with the added Fine Point Conversion because it offered the best of all worlds. The tyer has the three basic options. It works as a rotary vise. Lock it with the Fine Point jaws and you have a conventional vise. It is true spinning vise as the mounted hook is aligned dead on the center axis and is easily spun on the smooth ball bearing hub providing among other features, the slickest dubbing method.

The Automatic Bobbin Kit and the Fine Point Conversion are extra and complete the setup.

Visit nor-vise.com, click on MULTIMEDIA and view the videos.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Trout Madness,

You will like your Nor Vise. I got mine after seeing one demonstrated at the Portland Sportsman show. The simple movement of locking the vise is outstanding. Mine is about 12 years old and doesn't have the new jaw locking design or the shaft speed adjustment. You made a good choice.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
TroutMadness,
I've borrowed one from a friend so far and have not been forced into buying one yet. The Nor-Vice seems to be a great vise for those that I have seen use them. I know two guys that swear by them and will never go back to any other kind. I guess I'll have to manage until my ship comes in. Thanks, for asking.
Thanks,
Terry

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I recently received my Nor-Vise. Moving from a Thompson A, I'm going through a learning curve as I transition to the NV. It's a bit like learning to use a sewing machine after years of hand sewing.
Hi Trout Madness,

How are you making out with your Nor Vise? What do you think about the automatic bobbin?

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
Well, I don't have any of those but I have heard good thinks about all. I guess it boils down to your personal preference. I have a Dyna King Barracuda Jr. and wouldn't trade it.

Trout Madness

Reaction score
Frank, I took my 10 year old grandson to The Flyfishing Show and he was fascinated by the flytyers. He bought a grab bag of material and wanted me to teach him to tie flies. He's working on the old Tompson A and to keep from confusing him as we tie together I lock up the Nor-Vise with the Fine Point Conversion. Hence, I haven't had the time to do more than slowly familiarize myself with the many features.

The Automatic Bobbin is a stroke of genius. I asked Norm Norlander of which he was most proud, the vise or the bobbin. He hesitated for a second or two then said he was pretty pround of the bobbin. Designing a spring loaded wheel with a clutch was a real challange.

I also think Colorado Cajun is absolutely right when he said it all boils down to personal preferences. Asking a man about his vise is like asking him about his pick up, his dog, or his whiskey.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
The Automatic Bobbin is a stroke of genius. I asked Norm Norlander of which he was most proud, the vise or the bobbin. He hesitated for a second or two then said he was pretty pround of the bobbin. Designing a spring loaded wheel with a clutch was a real challange.
That bobin is a great device. If more peple tried them they would be very popular. I think the price keeps people from buying them.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Joe and Frank, please don't take this the wrong way with the following statement: "With age, comes great wisdom."

I had the opportunity to tie with the Nor-vise this weekend. Boy Oh Boy, what a vise. I have been walking the fence for a long time as too what vise to buy but after tying with the Nor-vise I think I have truely made my mind up. Everything I tried was so much simplier with the Nor-vise. Hackling and dubbing is not the same with any other vise that is on the market today.

As the misplaced Cajun mentioned it is all a matter of personal preferences.

Thanks for showing me the light. Now, to come up with the greenbacks to pay for it.
Thanks,
Terry

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

There are a bunch of rotary vises out there but none of them will spin a fly like the Nor-Vise. The Nor-Bobbin works just as good as the vise. You won't be sorry you picked the Nor-Vise. It is a few bucks but will last a lifetime.

Wisdom, age, yes I have a lot of both.:)