Favorite Midge Pattern - Cyber Swap

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I mentioned doing this a while ago and then promptly forgot about it (such it is when age creeps upon thee...). Anyway, I have some favorite midge patterns that I like to tie and use on my local waters. I'm sure many of you have the same. This then becomes an opportunity not only to see someone's favorite pattern, but also to get the recipe and then try to tie it yourself as well as fish it down the road. I'm not talking about any dozen or so flies tied, boxed and mailed while awaiting return mail of one of everything else everybody else tied, rather, online posting of photos, recipes, and, if needed and requested step-by-step photos.

I'm not doing this to in any way negate or subvert the regular tying swaps that have occurred, are occurring, or will occur in the future, rather, give some of us a new option to participate without the mass production and mailings. I know we have a place to share patterns, but I thought this would be an opportunity to combine patterns of a certain type or theme on a regular basis.

If it works, great, if not, at least you can't say I didn't try something new to ditch the winter shack nasties :D

So, that being said, I'd like to start out with midge pupa/larva patterns, meant to be fished sub-surface. This time let's focus on patterns we regularly use on moving water rather than stillwater applications (we'll save that one for another swap).

I'll start it off with a pattern I developed for fishing the lower Henry's Fork around the Vernon Bridge and Chester Dam areas. Fished deep in tandem with one or two more offerings and under an indicator is where this pattern seems to shine. I currently tie the foam "wing" parallel on top of the hook, but I'm experimenting with tying the white foam perpendicular to the hook as it appears natural emerging nymphs seem to appear. I'll let you know.

Here I present my favorite midge offering when nymphing under an indicator,

KG's Deep Purple Peril

Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 14
Thread: 8/0 Black
Abdomen: Black Thread - opt. epoxy*
Rib: Holographic Purple Mylar - small
Thorax: Black dubbing - spiky
Wing: 2mm white foam

Tying Notes: *I usually like to tie up a dozen or so with just the thread abdomen and purple rib and then epoxy the abdomen in order to give it a reflective look of the glowing Mylar through the epoxy. Sometimes I've used Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails, but the process of application and drying in between coats takes a bit too long for my lack of patience.

Hey, if this works out - great. If not, no harm, no foul. No limit on number of participants, and each thread is independent and can go on as long as someone has the interest. Young or old, experienced tyer or newbie, here is your chance. Who knows, your offering may just become the next big thing in the fly fishing and tying world :thmbup:

Kelly.

oregonism

Reaction score
Any ideas on where to source foam other than the fly shop? I'm thinking about cutting up the material my macbook came in :)

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
The 2 millimeter foam I used on this fly is available in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets at most craft store and will give you a lifetime supply for a fairly cheap outlay of cash. For some of my other foam emerger creations I use electronics packing foam that comes with new electronics purchases, but I use regular 2mm craft foam on the fly shown in this post.

Kelly.

stimmy7

Reaction score
I'm with kglissmeyer1 on this. You can get 'fun foam' in a range of colors and 2 thicknesses. It also accepts Sharpie and/or other permanent marker ink, so the possibilities are endless, as is the supply =)