Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluro Fibre, Holo Tinsel, Krystal Flash, Wire, blah, blah, blah

Default Fluro Fibre, Holo Tinsel, Krystal Flash, Wire, blah, blah, blah

Hey all. So I've been noticing that a lot of fly tyers don't use just wire to rib their flies. As we all know, there is just a ton of stuff out there and I'm working on narrowing down the amount of materials I use.

So what is everybody else out there using to rib/segment their flies and why/why not?

Default Re: Fluro Fibre, Holo Tinsel, Krystal Flash, Wire, blah, blah, blah

wire, tinsel, holo flash, krystal flash, depends on the fly....

d

3. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post

for the flies i tie, essentially atlantic salmon flies and soft hackles and the odd whatever, wire and the various tinsels are all I use for ribbing. But I use a LOT of different "flashes" otherwise in my flies.
    Flashingly,
    Gary

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  6. Default Re: Fluro Fibre, Holo Tinsel, Krystal Flash, Wire, blah, blah, blah

Depends on the fly, but I mostly use wire. Sometimes, however, I'll use mono, tying thread, tinsel, or Krystal Flash.

7. Default Re: Fluro Fibre, Holo Tinsel, Krystal Flash, Wire, blah, blah, blah

Chartreus Krystal flash, one strand of peacock herl or midge braid and then fine gold wire over PMD dubbing works great on a nymph and streamers with 3 strands peacock herl ribbed with large hot orange wire gets their attention

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I still use a lot wire, actually copper lamp cord wire, for ribbing However, the various flash materials are fun and useful in a variety of ways.

If you want to keep it simple, I would recommend getting some Pearl and maybe Black Krystal Flash. You can use these for
    ribbing,
    wings or wing accents on emergers,
    legs on nymphs,
    wingcases on nymphs (tie in a small bunch and twist into a braid)
    accents on streamers and wooley buggers

Quote Originally Posted by webrx View Post
    wire, tinsel, holo flash, krystal flash, depends on the fly....

d
    me too plus, D-rib and midge diamond braid.
    http://outdoorsnow.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

i use blah, blah and blah
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by bhakulin View Post
    Chartreuse Krystal flash, one strand of peacock hurl or midge braid and then fine gold wire over PMD dubbing works great on a nymph and streamers with 3 strands peacock hurl ribbed with large hot orange wire gets their attention
    I'd love to see a picture of this fly. I suspect this fly could be a 'killer' for Fall King Salmon fishing.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I wanna tie a big fly. Use a bowling ball for a bead,,,then some bicycle inner tubes cut into strings for tailing fiber,,,wrap the body with long fiber indoor carpet strips, use rusted barbed wire for ribbing, and cut a sheet off an old tarp for a wing case. A couple old boat sails for wings,, then dub up a thorax with Sasquatch hair,,,fold the tarp patch over that and tie it in at the hook eye with a another strand of rusted barbed wire. Then put Thompson water seal all over it. I could find an old coffin for a fly box I bet....

Then go catch me a big fish.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast