Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Bass Popper Hook Suggestions Requested

I going to start tying deer hair bass poppers. I would like some recommendations on which hooks I should use. I came across the Mustad 3366 and TMC 8089. I didn't know if there were any other (better, low cost, etc) choices. I plan on tying in the 2 to 6 size range.

Thanks,
    Lee

Default Re: Bass Popper Hook Suggestions Requested

I could be wrong so wait for others respond but I think people use gamakatsu stinger hooks (B10S). I just ordered some to tie up some pike flies. I think I will use them for tying some dahlberg divers as well

3. Default Re: Bass Popper Hook Suggestions Requested

those will work... i tie all mine on saltwater hooks... i figure if i am going to put that much work into a fly i would hate for it to rust... i just use eagle claw 254s... they are cheap and work well... kind of shorter shanked but they still work..

but for guys looking for hooks... i have been using this place for a few years... can not beat the prices... Captain Hook's Discount Warehouse .. check them out..

I ended up going with the Mustad 3366.

Thanks.

5. Default Re: Bass Popper Hook Suggestions Requested

Like Tyler, I'd recommend the Gamakatsu B10S. They're definitely more expensive than the Mustad 3366 (Bass Pro sells them for something like $5.99/25 pack, but they're incredibly sharp and durable hooks. Well worth the extra dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by tbiii View Post
    Like Tyler, I'd recommend the Gamakatsu B10S. They're definitely more expensive than the Mustad 3366 (Bass Pro sells them for something like $5.99/25 pack, but they're incredibly sharp and durable hooks. Well worth the extra dollars.
    I just ordered some from bass pro the other day haha