Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hackle help?

Blog Entries

Default Hackle help?

sorry if this is asked a lot but im hopefully going to cabelas tomorow and am hoping to get a few materials.

i dont get hackles and all the fancy terms for it.

so what is neck hackles? and what is saddle hackles? and then grades i see theres grade 1 and 2..im guessing the grade 1 is just nicer and has a higer price tag where as the grade 2 is lower quailty and has a smaller price tag for people like me?

so if anyone can share some info about hackles it would help
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hackle help?

Hi,

If you are just starting to tie flies hopefully the person working in the materials department will be knowledgeable enough to help you set up without breaking the bank. It is very hard to try to explain hackle through a short message in text. Unless you live 100 miles from the shop I would just get some lower grade materials to practice with and when I felt ready to do some good finish work I would upgrade my quality of materials to match my tying skills.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

In a nut shell, rooster necks and saddles are most commonly used for dry fly hackle. The necks can also be used for dry fly tails. The big difference between necks and saddles is the size of flies they tie. Necks have the biggest assortment of sizes, ususally tying down to 28-30. Saddles are usually sized 10-16 (this is a generalization, each saddle is different). If you only tie dries in the 10-16 range, a saddle is all you need. If you tie smaller flies, a neck would be the way to go. Grade 2 would be my suggestion for someone starting out, especially if they are on a budget. This is a VERY basic overview of hackle. Do a search for hackle here and at any other sites you visit to find other posts related to hackle. Ask the salesperson at Cabela's if they have a good book that explains hackle well. Look through it before you buy it to be sure that it will answer the majority of your questions. Good luck.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyflytyer View Post
    In a nut shell, rooster necks and saddles are most commonly used for dry fly hackle. The necks can also be used for dry fly tails. The big difference between necks and saddles is the size of flies they tie. Necks have the biggest assortment of sizes, ususally tying down to 28-30. Saddles are usually sized 10-16 (this is a generalization, each saddle is different). If you only tie dries in the 10-16 range, a saddle is all you need. If you tie smaller flies, a neck would be the way to go. Grade 2 would be my suggestion for someone starting out, especially if they are on a budget. This is a VERY basic overview of hackle. Do a search for hackle here and at any other sites you visit to find other posts related to hackle. Ask the salesperson at Cabela's if they have a good book that explains hackle well. Look through it before you buy it to be sure that it will answer the majority of your questions. Good luck.
    ok thanks.
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=10944

Check this Link Peregrines typed some good info on hackles

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=10944

Check this Link Peregrines typed some good info on hackles

Chris
    WOW thanks he pretty much covered everything...