Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: My huge material score

1. Default My huge material score

I have had a couple of good weeks with getting some materials! I have a few more fowl feathers and wings in the white bag that the tail is on but I didn't take them out. But this is what I got so far....

My bucktail that just needs to be cut and cleaned

the 3 mallards I shot on tuesday

The goose and a gadwall I shot the week before

Oh and then the biggest score...This Rooster my cousin just butchered and I asked for the cape and saddle. He's sending me the entire body of feathers lol, he also has another that he's going to make into chicken n dumplins this week so I will have a nice Redish rooster too.

2. Default Re: My huge material score

Cool. That's the way to get material. The natural way. Now go out and shoot some Chenille birds.

Default Re: My huge material score

I'm wanting to do some dying this winter so I have the word out with friends and family members for mallard flank feathers and pheasant skins. Plus I'm eye ballin' the neighbors guinea hens. lol!

Blog Entries

Plus I'm eye ballin' the neighbors guinea hens. lol!
    as long as you don't eye ball his wife....no problem

Blog Entries

Just Plain Naughty

Blog Entries

I know I'm really naughty at times Ard...Frank's going to give me a yellow card

QH- Great going- looks like you've got a steady supply of great stuff.
    Mark

Blog Entries

quackhead35: Very nice score on fly tying materials! Now you need to go out an get a pheasant. Another great source for tying materials is EBay.
    Last year Aroostookbasser sent me a muskrat pelt that I have had fun tying with. I made out like a bandit when Jimmie sent me some great fly tying materials he had a chance to pickup recently at a fly club auction. It's great having friends that you meet through this forum. Then awhile back JP from France sent me some great Limousine feathers that have an awesome shine......their so pretty I'm almost afraid to use them.

Larry

That's a good stash of material, quackhead. I have ten squirrel skins and a couple moleskins that are drying right now, and there's a couple rabbits in the backyard that may disappear shortly...

I've been out a half dozen times duck hunting this weekend, but have yet to nail anything aside from a couple ringnecks and shovelers. I'm hoping to change that this week, hopefully. Good luck!
    "I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." Jack Handy

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com

10. Default Re: My huge material score

Thanks guys! I have been working hard to get these materials. I have also gotten some other from Feather-craft but its all stuff i can't harvest right now

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    I'm wanting to do some dying this winter so I have the word out with friends and family members for mallard flank feathers and pheasant skins. Plus I'm eye ballin' the neighbors guinea hens. lol!
    My cousin picked up a few guinea feathers while trying to catch a pheasant at the farm. He said he was going to pick up some turkey feathers for me next time he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    quackhead35: Very nice score on fly tying materials! Now you need to go out an get a pheasant. Another great source for tying materials is EBay.
    Last year Aroostookbasser sent me a muskrat pelt that I have had fun tying with. I made out like a bandit when Jimmie sent me some great fly tying materials he had a chance to pickup recently at a fly club auction. It's great having friends that you meet through this forum. Then awhile back JP from France sent me some great Limousine feathers that have an awesome shine......their so pretty I'm almost afraid to use them.

Larry
    My cousin is trying to get one of the pheasants from the farm for me but I still have half a tail left so I'm not in a rush. There is a guy at the local fly shop that has something like that from europe that are super nice and I couldn't see using them either lol

Quote Originally Posted by fish_gypsy View Post
    That's a good stash of material, quackhead. I have ten squirrel skins and a couple moleskins that are drying right now, and there's a couple rabbits in the backyard that may disappear shortly...

I've been out a half dozen times duck hunting this weekend, but have yet to nail anything aside from a couple ringnecks and shovelers. I'm hoping to change that this week, hopefully. Good luck!
    I have been working hard on trying to get a rabbit and squirrel but haven't seen any of them while hunting.

I've shot 22 ringsnecks this year which is the most I have gotten in a season and its not even half over. The blind I have been hunting out of has produced a vast amount of rings and bluebills this year. I did snag a few feathers and a wing from them just incase. The warm weather up north with all that water isn't helping. They dont have a reason to fly down here yet.