Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Crystal Midge Size 24

Today I tried tying some size 24 Crystal Midges using the holographic flash material Jimmie sent me awhile back, but I'm having issues keeping the eye clean. Anybody have a good method to keep the eye area clean when tying size 24 or smaller flies? I've used the straw technique on larger flies but my straw is way too big for these little guys. Maybe a swizzle stick?

Larry
    Larry

Default Re: Crystal Midge Size 24

Mcnerney

Just thinking out loud here but what if you took some wire and used it to wire your feathers back a little until you finished wrapping and then take the wire off. Just wrap it on loosely.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

Dave: That just might work, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

Nice miges Larry
    1...does this material exist in olive green.
    2...you can use a little piece of ballpen tube or take an electric wire the size you need,cut a little piece and remove the copper wire ....will try to explain that to you when we chat if you don't understand what I mean

Nice looking midges Larry...Would a round toothpick work for you?

Dan

Blog Entries

Been a long time since I messed with a hook that small Larry but when I did........... I used to take a business card and very close to the edge I punched a little hole with a tack, then cut a slit to the edge with a razor. Next take scissors and trim the card down so that you are not working with a full size business card. You can push the card over the eye and 'gently pull the thread through the slit you made. Then you finish the head and slip the card off to the rear by using that slit. This works and you will find your own preference for hole size and the width of the slit. A card will last for a long time too.

Nice work Larry, I never tied too many flies that small but when I did I figured out the 'card trick' and I was able to make a nice neat trico this way.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
    Nice looking midges Larry...Would a round toothpick work for you?

Dan
    Dan: What I was talking about was the stray feathers around the eye, I'd like to be able to pull them back somehow as I wrap the head so it looks a little cleaner and doesn't have the little tag ends sticking out. I know they will fish just fine, but they don't look they way I want them to.

Larry

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Ard: I swear you are a genius! Such a simple solution, but I can see how effective that would work. Thanks, I can't wait to give that a try!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Been a long time since I messed with a hook that small Larry but when I did........... I used to take a business card and very close to the edge I punched a little hole with a tack, then cut a slit to the edge with a razor. Next take scissors and trim the card down so that you are not working with a full size business card. You can push the card over the eye and 'gently pull the thread through the slit you made. Then you finish the head and slip the card off to the rear by using that slit. This works and you will find your own preference for hole size and the width of the slit. A card will last for a long time too.

Nice work Larry, I never tied too many flies that small but when I did I figured out the 'card trick' and I was able to make a nice neat trico this way.

Ard
    Larry

Blog Entries

Ard: Here is my first attempt at using the small piece of business card to pull back the herl so as to cleanup the eye area, it isn't perfect, but I think with a little practice I can get some pretty nice results. Thanks!

Larry
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Ard: Here is my first attempt at using the small piece of business card to pull back the herl so as to cleanup the eye area, it isn't perfect, but I think with a little practice I can get some pretty nice results. Thanks!

Larry
    Ard, That was a great suggestion...

Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
    Ard, That was a great suggestion...

Dan
    You're right Dan...
    Can you send me a card Ard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast