Saddles and Necks

Jimmie

Reaction score
Would you buy saddles or necks online, or is it best to pick them by a first hand look?
The saddles that I have now are really sparse on size 12's. That seems wierd to me but I'm fairly new so maybe that's normal. It has 10's and 14"s.
My necks have the smaller sizes but have too much webby stuff.
:confused::confused::confused:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would you buy saddles or necks online, or is it best to pick them by a first hand look?
The saddles that I have now are really sparse on size 12's. That seems wierd to me but I'm fairly new so maybe that's normal. It has 10's and 14"s.
My necks have the smaller sizes but have too much webby stuff.
:confused::confused::confused:
It's for sure better tu chose the necks but for some years I've bought my capes on line in the us because it's far less expensive.I trust my dealer and have never been disappointed so far.I don't know if I can name it here...but I can pm it to you if you're interested.;)

fish_gypsy

Reaction score
I'd second Jbb's advice- don't buy hackle without visually inspecting it first, unless you really trust the person you're dealing with online. If you're looking for a specific size range (#12, for instance), the only way you know for sure whether it'll be on the patch of not is if you physically see it.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Jimmie,

If you are wanting particular sizes take a look at the Whiting 100 packs. They are saddles that are graded by size. So you can buy a pack for size 12 and be assured you will get what you wanted. I have found that the grading done by Whiting is very good and I have never been surprised.

I have also had very good results buying from Feather-Craft. Many times I have called and said I need such and such to tie a certain fly and they would send me what I needed.

The only problem with this advise is both of these suggestions are not the cheapest way to go. I always preferred to pay more money and get just what I wanted. One thing abut buying Whiting is you can get the same quality at any place that sells their product.

Frank

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Ive never purchased a high quality cape or saddle online caus I like to see it and check it before I buy it but for lures and nymphs its ok

Chris

quackhead35

Reaction score
Hi Jimmie,

If you are wanting particular sizes take a look at the Whiting 100 packs. They are saddles that are graded by size. So you can buy a pack for size 12 and be assured you will get what you wanted. I have found that the grading done by Whiting is very good and I have never been surprised.

I have also had very good results buying from Feather-Craft. Many times I have called and said I need such and such to tie a certain fly and they would send me what I needed.

The only problem with this advise is both of these suggestions are not the cheapest way to go. I always preferred to pay more money and get just what I wanted. One thing abut buying Whiting is you can get the same quality at any place that sells their product.

Frank
I 2nd Feather-craft, they have helped me out more times than I can count. I have Ordered some stuff online from them but do most of my purchases in-store as they aren't too far of a drive for me.

futuramille

Reaction score
A full #2 Whiting neck will provide hackle in a good range of sizes and lots of each. You can tie one size for a long time (if tying for yourself) and be left with more hackle..looking for reasons to use it more. the quils are strong and flexable and the barb count is always high enough for me.

IMO, its better to buy quality and have the ease in tying with a true challenge to use it all up than to buy unknown brands and fight for a good wrap everytime.

like mentioned, you can get New Whiting hackle from any source and be assured of its quality. For the extra bucks you get a long lasting source of hasle free material and can concentrate on YOUR work quality.

At least make sure you get your natural Grizzly in a quality neck.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Unless you tie a lot of #14 and #12 flies, I'd go with the Whiting 100's
as Frank Whiton mentioned. I began using them a year ago, and haven't
even considered a neck (unless it's for Wooly buggers, and then I buy a
Whiting bugger neck). The shop I buy go to now pretty much has a zillion
Whiting 100 packs, and a few necks. One of the other advantages of a
Whiting 100 is the length, and how easy it is to tie a #20 fly with a 10"
length of feather. Hackle pliers are not necessary until you've gone through
most of the length. I love the stuff!

P.S. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Whiting 100 pack without seeing it first.
Whiting sizes each hackle before packaging, and that's the QC right there.

fish_gypsy

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread, but i'm guessing that #12 saddles go for a size 12 hook???

I normally just buy necks lol
Generally speaking, yes. Someone online sells a hackle gauge, where you wrap the stem of the feather around a post, and the barbules splay out to a series of designated increments. That way you can find what size hook that feather would be most appropriate for.

I tend to just eyeball it, though. I'll do a couple wraps of hackle where I need it without tying it in, and if it looks good, proportional to the rest of the fly, I keep it.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Whiting 100 paks are good.

Whiting Quarter Saddles, with more than twice the hackle for about 50% more $ are great.

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
A hackle guage sort of works. The issue is that there are a number of different wire thicknesses out there now, so use one to get a feel for it then as mentioned, learn to judge without the guage. Somewhere there should be a dry fly proportion chart would anyone have one they can post? I tried googling but they only have reference to some for sale.....Kerry