Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pheasant tail legs...help !!!

I am trying to learn to tie or "knot" legs from pheasant tail......have a chochet(sp) hook...kinda small....anyone know if there is a video on making the legs? I looked at you tube...thanks
    if I'm not here...I'm on another line...with a fly on the end..

Default Re: Pheasant tail legs...help !!!

Last weekend I did a whole tail of hopper legs. It takes awhile to get the hang of it, but not bad. I had a tying tool that just didn't work for me. Too much fumbling. A hemostat works well. I separate about three to five fibers. Then while still holding the tips push them towards the stem of the feather. This makes the section loose and easier to twist the hemostat into a knot. Still holding the tips I just place them in the slightly open jaws and close the hemostats. Then just pull them through the loop wrapped around the hemostat. Takes a little experimenting but you should get it fairly quickly.
    Another thing is each time I tie a leg I pull it off the stem so it's not in the way for tying the next. When you buy them tied they are all still on the stem. I'm not that good yet.
    Hope this helps.

Jimmie- great advice!
    Mark

Right on...thank you very much, I won't be able to get to my vise until this weekend...but I'll let you know if I can do it....super thanks....I LOVE THIS SITE !!
    if I'm not here...I'm on another line...with a fly on the end..

I've actually had good luck with the little hook on the end of my whip finish tool: Make a loop with the PT fibers and pinch it so that the tips are in the middle of the loop, poke the tool through the loop and hook the fibers and pull them through, grab the tips and snug the knot down.

Search feature also works- Simple way to tie hopper legs?
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

You can purchase a very inexpensive miracle tool, called a knit picker, at any fabric center, or hobby store. It looks like a miniature rug hook. When you catch the fibers (PT) with the hook, a little latch flips down over the opening to facilitate a smooth pull through to form the knot. It took longer to type this than it will take to tie a dozen knots with the tool!

That sounds exactly like the tool the shops sell for tying legs. I have one and it works fine but does require a little practice, especially with shorter fibers.
    It works really good for pulling rubber legs thru foam popper bodies, too.

That's exactly what they look like ... other than the price. The knit pick from JoAnns/Hobby Lobby runs about a buck, the leg tying tool from the fly shops .... about 6 bucks!

9. Default Re: Pheasant tail legs...help !!!

Forget the legs...and the wingcase for that matter. Use partridge hackle instead as a collar. It looks great in the water and saves time when tying. I started off using legs and they sure looked pretty but i have found soft hackle is more effective.

10. Default Re: Pheasant tail legs...help !!!

Great tips everyone I am drying some tail clumps right now That I want to make legs with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast