Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default looking for plans on a flytying desk

im getting bored in shop class so im looking for anybody that has some plans to a fly tying desk. dimensions dont matter all it needs is material storage built into it.

soo give me any ideas
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Default Re: looking for plans on a flytying desk

Take a look at the thread called Let's see your tying station
    You'll find some nice ideas. Some fancy, some not so much.
    One of my favorites was also one of the simplest. The one by Flytyer Neal at the top of the last page
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

No plans for a tying desk, but have a couple of ideas for some time filler projects. Those threads racks, dowel station for larva lace or chennile; station to hold flash; or tool station.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    No plans for a tying desk, but have a couple of ideas for some time filler projects. Those threads racks, dowel station for larva lace or chennile; station to hold flash; or tool station.
    explain this larva lace/ chenille holder more...ive already built a thread holder that also conviently holds tools lol but my chenile is just kinda thrown around... oh and im curently building another thread/tool holder for my cousin if i can ever get around to finishing it
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
    explain this larva lace/ chenille holder more...ive already built a thread holder that also conviently holds tools lol but my chenile is just kinda thrown around... oh and im curently building another thread/tool holder for my cousin if i can ever get around to finishing it
    It's sort of hard to explain but I'll try. There are plastic enclosed holders for larva lace, chennile. They have a hole in the center that an approx. 3/8" round dowel fits perfectly. I've seen stations made where the dowel is horizontal so the spools of chennile are left to right. I bought larva lace where all spools were stacked on a vertical dowel. I'll try to find some pictures online.

If I were building one, I would set it up like a cubicle/work station so that a hinged top/front slides all the way down inside a sleeve on the back panel. This would allow you to make your mess look neat quite quickly. I would make the work surface at least 3'x3' so you've got room for some of these-

And maybe these underneath-

And I'd likely build it out of 1/2"-3/4" MDF and paint it white. (Dang, kinda makes me wish I didn't already have one that worked fairly well.)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Nobody knows the space you have and what features you need more than you do. Forget looking for plans and design your own. Maybe look around the internet for ideas, but I wouln't go with someone elses plans. If you are in shop class, I'm sure you have joinery books and info on drawer construction and a guy they pay to help you.