Did the spider and now what?

alcorn

Reaction score
On a whim I decided to take a fly tying class as an attempt to start to learn the skills need to tie some of my favorite fly patterns. The instructor first introduced us to the different tools, tells us what they were for and that sort of thing. He then showed us how to tie a spider. The kit that they gave us gives us enough material to tie five of each of the 11 fly we are going to learn. Next week is a wooley bugger and clouser minnow. I've got the spider down and am wanting to tie more. Should I
a. Go buy more material for spiders
b. Try a wooley bugger or clouser - the problem here being that I don't want to get over my head
c. Or you guys could shoot me a few easy patterns to look at
Let me know.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Look on you tube for step by step videos. There are a bunch of them. Pick one that looks like it is in your zone and go for it. Good luck on it.

I just looked and there are some good beginner ones. Just go on you tube and search learn fly tying and fly tying lessons.

Last edited:

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
No worries about getting in over your head....too late! You were doomed like the rest of us, right from the start.
YouTube is an awesome resource. Look up Davie Mcphail, great descriptive videos.:)