San Juan Worms beads and no bead
Olive Wooley Booger
Pheasant Tail Nymph
Rainbow Scud
Olive Scud

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Luked: Looks like you were one tying machine today! All I tied were a few salmon flies, then watched the Super Bowl at friends.

Larry

Jimmie

Reaction score
2-Caddis larva
2-Chironomids (black/red rib)
1- Copper John

Tomorrow "Partridge and Orange" to practice folding soft hackle.

BlueDun

Reaction score
Today I tied several leaders (ending in 4x tippet)......sigh.....and kept cutting the wrong ends on my blood knots :( (that's what I get for watching the Super Bowl instead of paying attention to what I was doing :)), but yesterday I tied a few copper johns of various colors, black gnats, and griffiths gnats.

webrx

Reaction score
I am working on prince nymphs for the kids swap, Chris was stuck on the play station and did not want to tie today (until it was bed time, then anything to stay up longer).

I have tied up 6 PNs, but only 3 I think are swap material, a couple I got the wings upside down on, not sure how, maybe my eyes are getting old (older), a couple I got the wings too long.

I made the choice to tie these as my part of the swap because I felt I needed practice at tying in biots and, so far, have proven that. I will fish all of these, and pass a couple on to my buddy - they are fishable, maybe not perfect, but in a current, I think they will still work.

d

luked

Reaction score
I am working on prince nymphs for the kids swap, Chris was stuck on the play station and did not want to tie today (until it was bed time, then anything to stay up longer).

I have tied up 6 PNs, but only 3 I think are swap material, a couple I got the wings upside down on, not sure how, maybe my eyes are getting old (older), a couple I got the wings too long.

I made the choice to tie these as my part of the swap because I felt I needed practice at tying in biots and, so far, have proven that. I will fish all of these, and pass a couple on to my buddy - they are fishable, maybe not perfect, but in a current, I think they will still work.

d
I know the feeling on the Goose biots....them things kick my rear too...cant ever seem to get them the way i want.

bloodhound

Reaction score
super bowl sunday i tied 4 soft hackle Pheasant tails, 12 soft hackle Hares ear's and about 15-18 light Cahill's in sizes 18 and 20 both parachute and traditional for the upcomming season. man i have tied more flies this winter than i ever had not even a month since puchasing my 100 packs of mustad hooka and i have like 15 size 14 standard nymph hooks left. wow i need a life.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Stacked deer hair flies, then a clouser for good measure.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

This is one of the stacked deer hair flies I was talking about.
Dan: Very nice fly, you are the stack deer hair guru!

Larry

flytyer_neal

Reaction score
I know the feeling on the Goose biots....them things kick my rear too...cant ever seem to get them the way i want.
sometimes I will lick my finger, then the biot will stick to it, then I don't have a finger and thumb in the way.....try it it might work for you to

rmooney

Reaction score
Stacked deer hair flies, then a clouser for good measure.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

This is one of the stacked deer hair flies I was talking about.
awesome tie dan. i noticed the collar on your diver is at a perfect 90 degree angle to the trimmed head. how do you do that, mine always end up way past 90 degrees. am i trimming the collar too far back? should i make the trimmed head shorter?

its kind of hard to see in this pic, but you can sort of see how the collar isnt at 90 degrees.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
The way I get it to stand up in the middle like that is to pack the heck out of it. In fact I bent a hook packing it the other day. Mighta been pushing a bit to hard on that one.:confused: If you notice how compact the hair is on the front of the head, there isn't much room for the hair to do anything but stand straight up. Do you have a packer? I have aso been using the tube from a ball point pen to push the hair back while I work the thread back forward of the hair, and get the first wrap on the shank. It's actually a great tool. I use the writting end as a tiny packer and half hitch tool, and the other I put sticky backed velcro, hook side, as a dubbing picker. One trick I found to get it tight is while you push the hair back, take a couple of tight wraps between the packer and the hair. Then half hitch right against the hair, put some head cement on the half hitch, and then pack the heck out of it again. I use tough thread also, Gudebrod GX2 and Kevlar. That way I can use a pretty good hunk of hair and get the thread down good. I found a second video showing stacking. It's mostly fishing and talking about a guy named John Fehnel. He's the guy that tied the fly I bought and inspired me to figure this stacking thing out. In the brief bit they show him stacking, you get a good view of how he gets the patterns. Once you tube gets done doing whatever it is they are doing and I can look at my history, I'll post it.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

They are still doing maint. on You Tube, but I found it anyway. He starts the fly about 4 min in.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl0cyVX6lUY"]YouTube- Fly fishing smallmouth bass St. Louis River Minnesota[/ame]