Straight or Curved Sissors?

Jimmie

Reaction score
Do you use straight or curved sissors for fly tying? I use straight just because that's what I bought. It seems like a lot of folks in the tying videos use curved. The curved look like they could give a cleaner cut in some situations like behind a bead head. Just like to know your thoughts.

jimw

Reaction score
I use straight ones don't really know why. thats what i started with and have never changed, I have never even tried a curved pair.

sandfly

Reaction score
both, plus heavey and light. Each has a place at your tying table. I would not use a fine pair to cut wire ot course hair. curved are great for getting in places the straight will not.

flytyer_neal

Reaction score
For cutting wire, I stole one of my wife's cuticle clippers, it has nice sharp blades, and I can put quite a bit of pressure on it.....works on wire nice...gets in close too !!!!

kelkay

Reaction score
I use straight mostly. I have curved for bait fish type patterns when I need to trim the shape.

dabluz

Reaction score
I have a few different scissors and grab the closest pair when needed. However, I do have a tiny pair of spring loaded scissors for cutting hackles and the thread after tying my whip finish.

I don't use my curved scissors very often. When I use them, it seems that they are most often at a bad angle for the job.

billyspey

Reaction score
Anvil curve but also have many pair but prefer the Anvil short curve with adjustable rings. Just purchased a new pair this week didn't need them. Can't have to many Toys!

bear 007

Reaction score
I've always used strait, I just bought a couple pairs of spring loaded MICRO SURGERY SURGICAL SCISSORS on ebay, for fifteen dollars they are really nice.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Well we have hit the bottom. I know it's winter and we can get better than 16 pages about a damn nipper. However, I have to draw a line someplace. Are you f'n kidding me? Is this what we are reduced to?

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

Let me elaborate. Scratch your butt, or openly or make an excuse to rub up against Bob Sagit. No seriously, shoot me now, I can't take any more. I know it's winter but seriously. Jeezhus H Keeriest on a friggin crutch. My damn head hurts.

flytire

Reaction score
i use dr slick straight scissors and have no reservations cutting wire or anything else with them

bruce m

Reaction score
I have 5-6 pair for different situations, but my go to scissors are the small 6th finger scissors. didn't like them at first but after a little they just feel natural being there all the time.

kelkay

Reaction score
I have about 6 pair of scissors myself. I won't use those 6 finger scissors though. My friend loves them. I would poke my eye out with them, if I had a pair. LOLLLLLLLLL.