Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Tied my first Wooly Buggers

I just got into fly fishing and a guy I kinda know just gave me a bunch of material for tying flies. I've been reading up on the forum here and searching the web for information. I picked up the Orvis Fly Tying Guide and decided to give a shot at the Wooly Bugger pattern...

First Wooly - Sz 10 hook, black marabou, olive chenille, and grizzly hackle.

Second Wooly - Sz 10 hook, Olive marabou, peacock herl, and grizzly hackle

Let me know what I might have done wrong as I'd like to improve. It might be my pride, but I'm trying to do this without a class... who knows, if I can't get it, I may have to bite the bullet and take a class.

Thanks guys for your constructive criticism...

Default Re: Tied my first Wooly Buggers

they look better then my first buggers! i like to tie mine with bead heads, i like to get them down deeper faster. nice ties.

Quote Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
    they look better then my first buggers! i like to tie mine with bead heads, i like to get them down deeper faster. nice ties.
    Thanks for the compliment. I forgot to mention I did a lead wrap on the shank, .025. I'm hoping that is enough to get it down.

Blog Entries

For your first flies it looks and sounds like you are doing all the right things J M. Congratulations on your fly tying debut.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Congrats on your first buggers, a nice fly and a nice job on them. tie some up with an olive body and a cinimmon tail, they work good if you swing them through the pools at the end of a riffle or strip them slowly through the slow water. if your weight is not enough, and it should be, then you can always add a split shot to them. i like to tie mine with just a little weight on the fly and use split to get them down, they flutter better in the current in my opinion that way.

d

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    For your first flies it looks and sounds like you are doing all the right things J M. Congratulations on your fly tying debut.

Ard
    Thanks Ard. I've never been an artistic person, but fly tying actually gets me thinking pretty creatively... I think it could turn into quite the hobby of it's self.

Dave, I'll try the cinnamon tail... I take it you've had luck with it on the Truckee? I don't know how possible it is, but I'd like to tie one that resembles a little rainbow trout... spinner fishing the last few years always yielded results on a rainbow rapala.

I know the Bugger is a pretty easy tie as far as technique is involved... any ideas on a next up in difficulty?

- Justin

Justin,

Yes, I have had some luck on the truckee and up at Lake Davis with this pattern, i think they resemble crawdads more then trout, but the fish tend to like em.

d

Quote Originally Posted by webrx View Post
    Justin,

Yes, I have had some luck on the truckee and up at Lake Davis with this pattern, i think they resemble crawdads more then trout, but the fish tend to like em.

d
    Was up at Cabelas tonight picking up a new vise and I saw some cinnamon. I should of bought it but it was 6-7 bucks for a few feathers... I'll do some shopping around for it for sure. Looks like tomorrow will be our last decent day before another storm rolls through.

Blog Entries

nice flys. ive only been tying for a year so somebody correct me if im wrong but the tail on the second one looks a wee bit big. (at least its too big for my liking but its still nice)

and then second this is just something to remember i still sometimes have trouble with this but with a bugger if you arent tying a bead or cone head try and make the thread head as nice and neat as possible.

but keep up the good work
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
    nice flys. ive only been tying for a year so somebody correct me if im wrong but the tail on the second one looks a wee bit big. (at least its too big for my liking but its still nice)

and then second this is just something to remember i still sometimes have trouble with this but with a bugger if you arent tying a bead or cone head try and make the thread head as nice and neat as possible.

but keep up the good work
    I agree, the tails are a little too big and the heads should be neater. I fished both of them yesterday and didn't get any hits, but they swam well. I'll keep tying these just to get comfortable with the tying techniques involved. This was my first tie without any instruction but a book and I'm sure I'll have it locked down soon

Thanks for the tips FF117.

- Justin