Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Cement thinner question

In Peregrines sticky he mentions making your own head cement with "Goop" thinned with "toluene". Got my hands on the Goop. Bought it at Home Depot. Have had no luck finding "toluene" in this town. Where are you folks getting toluene?
    Most people knew about the product but said that they quit carrying it because of people buying it to sniff. Hope that it can still be found.

Default Re: Cement thinner question

I've used lighter fluid with Goop

As I remember it worked well as a thinner, but I stored the mixture in a film canister and it set up before I got around to using it again.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Not that I'm advising it but I use lacquerer thinner on my cements but they are a compatible base.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Toluline is horrible stuff we got 30 gal of it in the dangerious goods store at work no one will take it

Its also called tolulol you should not use it indoors or any where near lighting its quite explosive

Chris

Blog Entries

Toluene is carcinogenic (sp?) very flammable etc. etc. I used to use it in the oilfield work I did.
    Just buy some look outdoors water based head cement and you can thin it with water.....or SHHN will work well.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

or SHHN will work well.
    Kerry Pitt
    Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is the only cement I realy use. It works well and comes with a nice little applicator, but the best part is that it is 3 odd dollars cheaper than actual head cement.
    Cabot

Thank you very much. That's some scary stuff. I'm calling off the search for toluene. The Goop is going in the garage.

The thinned Goop is flexible and has other applications besides straight head cement.
    It would be a good substitute in recipes that call for silicone like Bob Popovic's Siliclone Fleye series where the material of the entire head is covered

As for Sally Hansen's.......
    I don't know why fly tiers are fixated on that brand.
    They're all the same. I've used Sally's, Revlon, and two or three other name brands plus I'm currently using a $1 store brand.
    They're all basically the same lacquer that your car is painted with.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart