Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

I purchased the Danvise because of the price point, reviews, and how it worked. I did some research and I purchased it.

Why it sucks and I returned it...
    -Made of plastic
    -Jaws are too close to the body. ( purchased the extension arm for it if you need it let me know I will sell it for $10 bucks )
    -Jaws were not holding size 14 or smaller hooks tight
    - Rotary Part was not smooth and got worse.

Maybe I got a crappy one but I contacted the company and that was a joke.. They did not care.

Well so I took it back to Cabelas and talked to a few guys their and upgraded to the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose Fly Vise. It did not have Cam Lock Jaws but they sell an add on for that if I need it.

What are your thoughts on this new vise. I tied 3 flies at cabelas with it and works nice feels nice. I will post some photos of my first flies on it later
    Last edited by smallieman; 02-24-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: TITLE CHANGE

Default re: DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

Sorry to hear about your bad experience--- but IMHO, you ought to change the title of your thread.

I know a handful of people who use danvises and have had no probs. Just because of a bad experience, I don't think it is fair to completely blast them on a public forum.....

I do agree, though, that if you called the co. and got shrugged-- that's not very good-- speaks to their customer care (or lack there-of)....

Again, sorry to hear it, but good on you for the new vise-- hope it works out better for you.

3. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience--- but IMHO, you ought to change the title of your thread.

I know a handful of people who use danvises and have had no probs. Just because of a bad experience, I don't think it is fair to completely blast them on a public forum.....

I do agree, though, that if you called the co. and got shrugged-- that's not very good-- speaks to their customer care (or lack there-of)....

Again, sorry to hear it, but good on you for the new vise-- hope it works out better for you.
    Yes Raindog, you are correct there are some people on this forum that have a Danvise and they are happy with them. I am one of those people. His thread title really didnt bother me but I see your point. I may upgrade to a different vise myself one day but Danvise has served me well so far....
    Smallie
    That new vise is kinda neat though but I'd bet it was more money than your Danvise as well.
    Best Regards, Boser

5. Likes Ard liked this post

Well I looked at the danvise.....and personally went with the Peak Vise with the Griffin parachute arm.....never been happier.
    if I'm not here...I'm on another line...with a fly on the end..

7. Likes Ard liked this post

My thoughts? Drive back to Cabelas and buy a Peak. Mine has been rock
    solid for 3 years, and has cured me of vise envy. I owned a Griffin 2A,
    and had considered buying a Griffin Patriot, but I went with the Peak. Call
    Peak and you'll discover some really caring people. I called them to tell them
    how much I loved my vise, and they asked if there was anything I thought
    needed improvement!

9. Default re: DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

Checked out the Danvise, didn,t like the plastic. Read revues for the Peak, best rotory vise in the $150 range. I am very happy with mine.

Dennis

10. Default Re: DANVISE OUT!!!!!! I got a new Vise today

I have the poor man's Mongoose - Griffin Odyssey Spider. I really like it! Holds small hooks wonderfully, but make sure you screw tight on the bigger hooks.

11. Likes MAD777 liked this post

The Griffin jaws hold hooks "like a pit bull", as they say. The idea is to set
    both screws so that the jaw halves are just a wee wider than the hook, but
    parallel. Once that's done, it only takes a small turn of the larger knob to
    really grab the hook. If you leave the back end of the jaw open much larger
    than the width of the hook's diameter, less of the front jaw surface contacts
    the hook. Keeping the two ends parallel grips more of the hook, and it won't
    be going anywhere.

Default Re: DANVISE 0ut!!!!!! I got a new Vise today

Sorry for the Blast I was just PO this morning.. I got the Griffin mongoose set up and ready to tie.. I did love my danvise but just left a bad taste in my mouth. I am sure many of you like them. I checked it out again and the store do I exchange it for the same or upgrade for 40 bucks more. For me... I live far from Cabelas and really don't want to keep exchanging it. When all their models are made of steel and metal and then i see the Danvise on display. I just had to change to the other vise.

For all you Danvise owners I have the extension arm in the classified section

I'm one that's used one with great success for ten years, but this is the second report of crappiness of their product I've heard this week. A guy I know had the jaw on his **** out and it sent a piece of metal flying at his eye. That absolutely sucks.

I'm officially withholding my DanVise endorsements for now. (and likely tying with glasses on)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast