Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I officially hate the RS2...

^I agree with Larry too. They are a pain though. For me it's mostly that they are so hard to see. That and I must be doing something wrong with that thread tag end trick he uses to split them.

Charlie's tag end tip is a one shot deal. If you use your working thread, you
    can get in there where the fibbet exits the hook shank, and work it into place.
    Getting a thread base on the hook shank before tying in the fibbets/biots will
    help hold the materials in place as well. If you really want to get tricky,
    apply a small dab of head cement to the fibbet at the rear most portion after
    they are in place. Once the fibbets/biots are in place, you need to be careful
    that your following thread wraps don't pull the material back together. It only
    takes one wrap to do that, but the 5-7 wraps of thread ball at the end of the
    hook shank will take care of that.

Justin, You're going at this the right way, work your way through the book; if you have problems with a particular fly work on mastering it. When you get frustrated with a particular fly, take a break and tye something you do well to get your confidence back.

As far as goose biots go, use something else... I stopped using biots for stonefly tails and the fish haven't noticed. I use fibers from cheap strung saddle hackle, they are a little more forgiving and definitely softer then the biots.

Dan

4. Default Re: I officially hate the RS2...

never tied this pattern or used microfibbets but the small ball of thread trick works great on biots too for tying tails on my stonefly nymphs..
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12