Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Materials do you use to make Dubbing

Default What Materials do you use to make Dubbing

I'm thinking it might make more sense to start making my own dubbing. I'm familiar with the process (coffee grinder or can of water). I'm more interested in the material aspect.
    1. What furs, synthetics, etc. are you using?
    2. What ratios are needed to make dry fly and nymph dubbing?
    3. How do you dye the dubbing? (seems like it would be hard to dye dark colored fur, but isn't that what most fur is?)

Thanks,
    Lee

Default Re: What Materials do you use to make Dubbing

Quote Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
    I'm thinking it might make more sense to start making my own dubbing. I'm familiar with the process (coffee grinder or can of water). I'm more interested in the material aspect.
    1. What furs, synthetics, etc. are you using?
    2. What ratios are needed to make dry fly and nymph dubbing?
    3. How do you dye the dubbing? (seems like it would be hard to dye dark colored fur, but isn't that what most fur is?)

Thanks,
    Lee
    Furs = Rabbit, squirrel, beaver, angora goat, deer and elk.
    synthetic = most any from the major suppliers(HareLine, Wapsi & Montana Fly).
    For Dry Flies I prefer Wapsi super fine & micro fine.
    Ratios... up to you & the look you are after.
    To dye furs & feathers you need acid dyes (Jaquards, Prochemical or Dharma Trading) (Veniards is too inconsistent and expensive) You cannot dye something dark to a lighter colour.
    Dying is easy for the basic colours, mixing and over-dying takes a bit of practice, use cheap feathers to practice. Remember grade school lessons on mixing primary colours, dying a blue gray feather (dun) with yellow and you get something on the greenish/olive shade. For light colours cream or white work best.
    hope that helps a bit, its all good fun

Quote Originally Posted by darwin View Post
    You cannot dye something dark to a lighter colour.
    Ouch,tell this to brunette which wants to be blond

Quote Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
    Ouch,tell this to brunette which wants to be blond
    Silly women

I don't dye dubbing, but will mix colors to get a desired color. The ratios are total experimentation. When I load them in my coffee grinder lid it's usually measured by same size pinches; 80%/20% mix would be 8 pinches/2 pinches. I mix regular dubbing with ice dub or lite brite to kick up the sparkle. The one that I never mix is dry fly dubbing for it always balls-up on me.
    Tip: write down your formula because sure as heck you'll run out and need to mix more. I recently mixed a pretty good synthetic peacock with bronze lite brite, tan and green possum, and didn't write it down. Wish I had.

Blog Entries

Hi Lee,

The fellas have the materials pretty well covered I see. I will add this, find some good sticky dubbing wax, with the right wax getting anything to cling to a thread will be much easier. I am a single strand dubber and very seldom mess with dubbing loops. With the right wax and practice at making a nice tight rope of dub you can tie from #18 dries up to a 1/0 salmon fly body. I have no idea if Overton's Wonder Wax is still sold but that is what I use when spinning furs to thread.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Tip: write down your formula because sure as heck you'll run out and need to mix more. I recently mixed a pretty good synthetic peacock with bronze lite brite, tan and green possum, and didn't write it down. Wish I had.
    Jimmie gave you a very good tip, I would add to save some of the mixture if you really like it and don't use it. Stick it in a zip lock bag with the recipe and save it for reference.

Thanks for all the great advice. So how do you make the lighter color dubbing (yellows, white, light grey, etc)? I can't imagine that you have to start of with fur of that color, but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
    So how do you make the lighter color dubbing (yellows, white, light grey, etc)?
    Start with white or cream fur or feathers then dye them any colour you want. I use white or cream angora dub to dye all of my colours. If you look at dyed deer belly hair for example, that fur starts off on the white side and then dyes are added to give the desired colour. Look at a buck tail that has been dyed, the white fur takes on the new colour but the brown fur stays "mostly" brown, but does take some of the dye. Don't think of dye as paint, but more of a translucent colouring agent.

This video will give you an idea on how it works. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtIPauZQ08"]How to Dye Feathers Sunburst with Davie McPhail[/ame]
    Last edited by darwin; 05-01-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks for all of the great info!

BTW in regards to Jimmie's comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    ... The one that I never mix is dry fly dubbing for it always balls-up on me. ...
    I use compressed canned air to mix the dubbing. What I do is pick apart the dubbing and put it in a zip lock bag. I add what I want to mix it with into the bag, then close the bag. I stick the straw from the canned air into the bag and in short bursts release the air. It does a very nice job of mixing the dubbing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast