Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default Tied my very first steelhead fly. need your thoughts

i tied my first steelie fly last night and i wouldnt fish it its not quite fishable but i need your thoughts on what i should change about it. heres what i know to change next time. Make the little body a little shorter, needs more marabou, and next try a dubbing and tinsel body(even though i kinda like my chenile and mylar body) this was really just a "test" fly as i call them where i figure out all of my dimensions. but waht can you see that needs work.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

so all in all im pretty happy with the fly. but i also need to know what kind of marabou do you use? i picked up some jay fair's premium marabou but for the price you dont get much of it...so if anyone can help me out with what kind of marabou
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tied my very first steelhead fly. need your thoughts

You can use a variety of marabous. For long and finer fibers, I like Hareline Blood Quills. For shorter fibers, I like Hareline Spey Hackle (it is actually ostrich marabou).

MP

Blog Entries

Hi Flyfisher,

The best way to check the fly is to get it wet in shallow water and see how it acts. The colors are good (I'm no fish but........) so the under water action will be the "Where it's at" part of the equation for you to take a look at.

By checking the wet look you'll be able to quickly determine where a particular fly may be best presented. A general rule is sparse flies = low and clear water, big bushy = faster flows having at least a few feet of depth, bright attractor colors = turbid water, low light, or as the name suggest to attract a curious fish.

If you can find a fresh run fish (just in from the Great Lakes or the salt) you can show them darn near whatever you want (except yourself) and they often play along. I will be fishing for them here in roughly three weeks and will use my Ard's Nine Three and make sure they don't see me.

I like your fly,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hi Flyfisher,

The best way to check the fly is to get it wet in shallow water and see how it acts. The colors are good (I'm no fish but........) so the under water action will be the "Where it's at" part of the equation for you to take a look at.

By checking the wet look you'll be able to quickly determine where a particular fly may be best presented. A general rule is sparse flies = low and clear water, big bushy = faster flows having at least a few feet of depth, bright attractor colors = turbid water, low light, or as the name suggest to attract a curious fish.

If you can find a fresh run fish (just in from the Great Lakes or the salt) you can show them darn near whatever you want (except yourself) and they often play along. I will be fishing for them here in roughly three weeks and will use my Ard's Nine Three and make sure they don't see me.

I like your fly,

Ard
    so how thin and not fluffy the marabou is wont affect it a fish may still take it?

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

here another one i just tied i couldnt get a good pic but its a little better as far as amount of marabou but some of its a little more fluffy on the right side but not to bad
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Blog Entries

For sure, your design will work, I catch lots of fish (Salmon) on the Orange Bunny Fur Comet. You can see it in the "Your Alaskan Salmon Flies" thread found in the Alaska forums.

You will see that the Amnesia flies are pretty full too. Big bushy flies have great presence in the water especially when dead drifted or swung very slowly. Many of my best salmon getters are full. Steelhead are another story, most of my steelhead come to the Ard's Nine Three;

[IMG][/IMG]

Spey style;

[IMG][/IMG]

The fish that take these are (I believe) judging them to be baby salmon. I do not allow for a long hard look in my presentation and the slim dark silhouette is all it takes to trigger a hard fast strike. This is not to suggest that big bushy breathing, pulsing flies will not catch steelhead but I stick to the more streamlined offerings here.

Blog Entries

ok thanks Hardy. ill water test them when the snows gone and if they work pretty good ill take them and ask my teacher that fly fishes for steelhead if he thinks they will work around here and if so hopefuly this year i can go try and catch my first steelie on the fly

Blog Entries

As for bushy flies, try Googling "Intruder steelhead fly" and take a look at them. Your flies will work fine. Remember what I said, show em the fly, not you.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Your flies look pretty good...Like Hardy says put them in the water to see what they look like wet...

Dan