Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

1. Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    So what if it doesn't look right to you or somebody else? We're not the one's you're trying to feed it to.
    That is the trufe! That is a very good point I think a lot of fly design is more about catching fisherman than about catching fish.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
    Hope you don't mind my asking this its probably a dumb question...Ya I know there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I only have TMC 5262's which are 2X long and 2XH down to size 12, but want to tie down to 16's. When I first tie a fly I prefer to use the hooks and materials that the pattern I'm following calls for. I know that there is nothing wrong with switching some things up. After I'm satisfied with my ties then I might experiment.

I went to Allen Fly Fishing website to order some more 5262's down to sz 16, but currently Justin only has them down to sz 14. However, one pattern I read said you can use either 5262's or 5263's, but the 5263's are 3X Long would the addition 1X length make them look off?
    I wouldn't hesitate substituting a 5263 for a 5262. Yes, it's longer, but if you hold them together to compare, it's not significant. I prefer to tie woolly buggers on the 5263, but have substituted 5262s while I was waiting for a shipment. As others point out, fly recipes can be adjusted to accommodate what you have or what you prefer in the tie. Have fun and experiment.

Out of curiosity, why did you just start tying the CJ's? I just tied my first one today, I'm following Charlie's book though. Buggers are next.

No problem with the KF since the whole wingcase gets covered with a blob of clear epoxy. Like mentioned above you should use a number of strands over the thinskin or turkey wingcase.

Copper johns are one of my top producers and i always used the thin skin for mine and they seemed to work well

I love to use Copper Johns as a dropper got them in lots of colors pink, green, red, blue, black, gray,charturses. and i add a grouse feather for a sprase throax and trim the top off.Works good

7. Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

Quote Originally Posted by hypobaricstalker View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did you just start tying the CJ's? I just tied my first one today, I'm following Charlie's book though. Buggers are next.
    Sorry somehow I missed this question till today, I didn't mean to ignore you. I started tying CJ's, because they are one of the most productive flies I fish and would rather tie them than buy them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have since purchased the Fly Tiers Dungeon Flashabou, plus I also bought some flashable when I visited the shop where Dennis (MoscaPescador) works.

I've tied several now in 3 different sizes 12, 14, 16 and I realize that since peacock herl is tried and proven I should have used it. However, I've tied them with Fly Tyer's Dungeon Mr. Peacock dubbing and personally like how buggy they look. I'm going to tie more in each size with peacock herl just in case the fish don't agree with me.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Tom, try tying some with Peacock Ice Dub; I think you'll like the effect.

Dan

9. Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

Quote Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

Dan
    Dan, thanks that does sound good...I do really like Ice Dub.
    -Tom Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

Dan
    I love that stuff!!! It makes any black inscet fly instantly better haha
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast