Simi Seal

Joni

Reaction score
I am. I like the Golden Olive for Damsels and I like a black/blood mix for leeches and of course the Golden Browns. Cool stuff, but I use it with a dubbing loop.

mudbug

Reaction score
In AZ they are the new Wooly Bugger.

Tied big or small (AZFF sells magnum Simi Seal), sparse or full, weighted or not, stripped fast like a minnow, slow like a leach, or drug on the bottom like a crawdad, bass, trout, or panfish, AZ Fly Fishermen don't leave home without SSLs.

A newer pattern that I got in a fly swap and I'm now tying because I love it is the Soft Hackle Simi Seal Leech (SHSSL)

Jimmie

Reaction score
Thanks mudbug. I love your SHSSL. It's either Dark Olive or Peacock is my guess.
It won't be long the SSL could rule everywhere. At our latest outing the most and biggest trout were caught on SSL's.

danielp

Reaction score
Dont think I have heard of simiseal over this side of the pond. Is it a synthetic seals fur sub? Might have to try and get hold of some as those flies look pretty awesome, loving the soft hackle, have a nice dark olive partridge on my bench that would look good at the fron of one of those.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

Joni

Reaction score
There is just so many colors in this dubbing, it really does cool things.

rvc

Reaction score
Down here in Central Florida my main target fish are LM Bass and Bluegills. I understand the colors for bugger type flies for them are black and olive. Is that what would be recommended for this product?

Thanks.

RVC

Joni

Reaction score
Oh wow, The Peacock/Black the Amber/Olive, the Blood is awesome, and the California. I don't know about the semi seal version of the CA leech, but the stuff I get has an appearance of brown, yet there is no brown in it. I think that is what this stuff is. The collection of colors. The Gold/Olive is perfect for Damsels.

mudbug

Reaction score
Yup, all kinds of stuff you can do.

This one is just from me goofing around. It's a bit shaggier.

Olive base with a red collar and a bit of silver over the top.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
That's the little Soft Hackle SSL I made.

So it's been working for you?

Did you make up some more?
I ordered simi seal the second I got the flies. All the flies in the swap where nice but as soon as I saw yours I headed for the kitchen to fill the sink and swim the fly. That material does some amazing thing in the water. Bass and Pan fish have been crushing it. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Mudbug,

I had a tough time finding the Simi Seal. I ended up ordering from a place called Charlie's flybox. My regular material supplier said it's basically Angora dubbing. Is this true?

mudbug

Reaction score
I ordered simi seal the second I got the flies. All the flies in the swap where nice but as soon as I saw yours I headed for the kitchen to fill the sink and swim the fly. That material does some amazing thing in the water. Bass and Pan fish have been crushing it. Thanks!

Very cool.

That fly for the swap was an after thought. I had already tied up the Diamond Hair Minnows for the swap and then I started tying up a few of the SHSSLs for myself and thought that I should make some for the swap also since they are so simple.

Glad they are producing for you.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

I had a tough time finding the Simi Seal. I ended up ordering from a place called Charlie's flybox. My regular material supplier said it's basically Angora dubbing. Is this true?

It's an Angora and synthetic blend I think.

The best place to get it is right from John Rohmer. He is the only place you can find all the colors, the dubinizer boxes, and some of his other materials which I also like. Plus, his prices are fantastic and his shipping practices are top notch. Instead of wondering when your stuff is gonna get there you will be wondering "How did he get it here so fast?"

Oh, and he has Mega Simi Seal also which is the same stuff just cut a bit longer for larger flies.

kelkay

Reaction score
Yup, all kinds of stuff you can do.

This one is just from me goofing around. It's a bit shaggier.

Olive base with a red collar and a bit of silver over the top.

Killer fly. What is the red in the fly, is that Simi Seal too? I am a big fan of Simi Seal, I think it is a fantastic material.

mudbug

Reaction score
Actually I think that is one of my first tries at this and it just a small red beard made of chinese saddle hackle.

Now I use red Minnow Hair, Simi seal, or Congo Hair. What ever I have handy.

This was born from my idea that most minnows have a translucent look. I tried to mimic that with the little bit of silver simi seal at the front that sweeps back over the body.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Very cool.

That fly for the swap was an after thought. I had already tied up the Diamond Hair Minnows for the swap and then I started tying up a few of the SHSSLs for myself and thought that I should make some for the swap also since they are so simple.

Glad they are producing for you.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

It's an Angora and synthetic blend I think.

The best place to get it is right from John Rohmer. He is the only place you can find all the colors, the dubinizer boxes, and some of his other materials which I also like. Plus, his prices are fantastic and his shipping practices are top notch. Instead of wondering when your stuff is gonna get there you will be wondering "How did he get it here so fast?"

Oh, and he has Mega Simi Seal also which is the same stuff just cut a bit longer for larger flies.
I just ordered the 12 color box. Thanks for the heads up!

kelkay

Reaction score
Well I love it. I also like that first one posted a lot too. I love Simi Seal leeches. They work real good for me on my local waters.