Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Rubber Leg Gold Nugget Stone Fly

Default Tom's Rubber Leg Gold Nugget Stone Fly

This was my first attempt a creating my own fly a Golden Stonefly imitation. I used a size 4 ALLEN 5262 (same as TMC 5262), black brass bead head, black 6/0 uni-thread base, weighted to shank with .25 led free round wire, pumpkin/black flake rubber legs, golden stone trilobal dub hand mixed with dark brown hares mask dub, I wrapped the thorax with the same rubber leg material for segmentation, but next time I think I'll either try black wire or some kind of black bug wrap or possibly black rubber leg material. I used thin black mottled thin skin for the wing case.

This was also my very first time tying with rubber legs.

So what do you all think? I'm feeling pleased with it.

-Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Default Re: Tom's Rubber Leg Gold Nugget Stone Fly

Hey Guys, Hope you all don't mind me bump this up, but I would really appreciate some input from other tyers and others on this tie. As I said this is both my first time attempting to design a fly and my first time ever tying with rubber legs.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Blog Entries

Flybum,not easy to give an opinion about a fly....fish may love a fly we find ugly and vice versaanyway your fly looks nice and rubber legs should move and be attractiveIf I had tied one like this one I think I would have chosen a darker rubber and made legs a bit shorter....but not sure I'm right

Blog Entries

Tom, overall it doesn't look bad.
    JP is right, we will just nibble at the edges. Legs long etc.....
    Check with the fish first chance.
    I might go with two goose biots in drk brown for the tails.
    Maybe darken the back with a brown/black pen.
    Stones that do a cold long winter, are very dark to absorb heat.
    When we looked at them, they had some light bands for segmentation on abdomen.
    Yellow D rib?
    Maybe also tye some without weight for slow water/soft takes.
    They really don't weigh much in hand.
    Some folks bend the shank a little, for an agonistic arch.
    Happy tying...

Jim
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

JP, thank you for your input I think everyone's input will be invaluable. I do realize its hard to comment a flies.

In case this helps I believe the Golden Stonefly nymph at the following link links nearly identical to the ones in the Truckee River and its what I'm attempting to imitate Acroneuria (Golden Stones) Stonefly Nymph Pictures
    -Tom Wilson

Tom, it's not bad...For the legs I would have done a few less; maybe 3 to a side, and just a touch shorter. I agree with Jim about the darker back and the biot tails...Give it a test run as is and give us a report on it...

Dan

I'd add goose biots, and cut down on the amount of legs. Looks good though. The rubber legs will make a lot of fish want to hit that fly.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Thank you all for your input. If all works out as I plan I'll have a new version tomorrow that I think will be better.
    -Tom Wilson

Blog Entries

Tom,
    Here are some notes from my end.
    1. Use a 3x long hook. I would go with a 5263 for a straight shank. Go with a 200R for a bent shank. I prefer my stonefly nymphs on a bent shanked hook.
    2. As for proportions, go 1/3 thorax and 2/3 abdomen.
    3. The abdomen should be more tapered.
    4. A size 4 is a rather large Golden Stone. Sizes 6 to 10 are more NorCal sizes.
    5. If you are going to use a size 4 hook, don't be afraid to use .030" to .035" lead wire.
    6. Run some antennae material through the front of the bead.

Dennis

10. Default Re: Tom's Rubber Leg Gold Nugget Stone Fly

Dennis, Thanks for the tips! I was in your shop today and met one of the owner's.
    -Tom Wilson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast