voodoo leech

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a recipe or what materials go into a voodoo leech?
Been looking around google for ages and cant seem to find anything that says what is in there...i know marabou, and rabbit strips, and dubbing,

wouldnt mind a guide to show me how to put it together the first time.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Does anyone know of a recipe or what materials go into a voodoo leech?
Been looking around google for ages and cant seem to find anything that says what is in there...i know marabou, and rabbit strips, and dubbing,

wouldnt mind a guide to show me how to put it together the first time.
I've tied them in the past for Loopers and Steelhead on the North Shore of Lake Superior. It helps to have two vices. I tie a hook like a size 2 to a piece of power pro or some other serious braid. I tie the power pro to a streamer hook, pretty much does not matter what kind as long as you have an inch or so shank and an up or down turned eye. I make the length from the eye to the bend in the rear hook 3 or 4 inches. Size is kind of your choice. I cut the bend and barb off the front hook just leaving the eye and the shank. Here's where two vices come in. Adjust the distance of the vices so you can get the eye in one and the trailing hook in the other with the power pro tight. I then tie a color like Chartreuse or some other brighter color marabou to the shank of the trailer hook. The tie in black crosscut Rabbit (again the color does not have to be black, but I pretty much always used black. Palmer it up the power pro to a tad less than half way to the eye. Next repeat the marabou, and then the rabbit. Stop about 1/4" from the eye. I should have mentioned I do the trailer hook and the eye pointing the same way. Both up or down however you have it in the vice. At this time you put a nickel dumbell eye on in the middle of the front 1/4" you left open. I think most guys tie it with the eyes on the same side as the eye of the front hook But I like it better so if the eye is pointing down the eye goes on top. I think it rides better that way, more snag proof. Cement the dumbell eye so it will stay in place better. Finish the front off with Estaz or dubbing like SLF loop dubbed 'fluffy'.

At least that's how I do it. I don't remember where I saw the pattern at, but if I find it I will post it.

Reaction score
ordered the rabbit strips and senyo's laser dub on friday for these babies and it came today.
so i just knocked out the first Voodoo leech in Black with Red
Gonna be doing these in cerise/black, black/cerise, black/orange/ black/blue, black/chartreuse and black/yellow, black/pink and maybe some red/chartreuse and red/yellow too for steelies and salmon in fall...
i think this one turned out pretty well for the first time tying it.

Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me, but I cut off the bend of the front hook and just leave the shank.
Will do that after. I only have one vise so i had to improvise to make it work. This thing is mobile in the middle. I ended the rabbit strips on the trailing hook and tied it off behind the eye. Power Pro linker through the eye, down the shank, thought the eye of the front hook and back again down the shank to make the joint. Tied it down and super glued it so it will stay.
then just repeated the marabou, rabbit strips and finished with eyes and dubbing for the head. I left the bend on the front hook cause i couldnt figure out how to prevent the cut hook from rubbing on the powerpro (which might cause fatigue and weakness at the joint. Think i've resolved the problem tho, I'll use a couple glass beads to prevent the powerpro from rubbing. Lets see if it work.

Lancer09 - Next time i tie one, i'll make Step By Step with photos and description, should have it done by the weekend.