Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I Think I like Flat Tying Thread Best

Default I Think I like Flat Tying Thread Best

I tried some 140 denier UTC thread and really liked it a lot a lot better than then 6/0 Uni. What I liked is that it is flat and made making a well tapered body easy. I've got a bunch of the Uni in all the most often used colors, so I hate to do this, but I really want to replace it all with some kind of flat thread, but in all 70 denier. It doesn't have to be UTC.

Do any of you all know where I could by a good size assortment of 8/0 or 70 denier equivalent cheap. I've checked Ebay and and scoured the web, but haven't found any assortments that are cheap enough with all the colors I'd want. I'm hoping to spend no more then $20 including shipping.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Default Re: I Think I like Flat Tying Thread Best

UTC 70 is $1.49/spool at Cabela's available in: White, Blue Dun, Dark Brown, Black, Fluorescent Pink, Fluorescent Fire Orange, Red, Fluorescent Chartreuse, Yellow, Olive.

They have a store in Reno, not too far from you- right? Would save the shipping, but not sure if the store carries all colors in the catalog.

i know of a couple of stores online that offer free shipping with a $25 spend. So if you were gonna buy on line, the money you'd spend at other stores on shipping could be invested in extra thread.

Check Here (UTC 70 or 140 Denier multiple colors )and Here 70 denier UTC multiple colors again

Danville's 6/0 is flat and I think its 70 denier.

I'd check but its hard work.

Since you're a nice guy, I extended my arm, opened a drawer, and yes indeed, Danville's 6/0 is indeed flat and 70 denier. Pretty sure all Bass Pro stores stock a decent variety.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    Since you're a nice guy,
    Thanks cliff for the information and for stretching the definition of "nice guy" to include me.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.