Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do bluegills eat minnows?

Default Do bluegills eat minnows?

If so can a Clouser Minnow type fly be tied small enough for them? What size and color?

Thanks for reading such a newb question.

RVC

Default Re: Do bluegills eat minnows?

Yes, they most definitely will eat a minnow. And yes it could be tied small enough, however, bluegill have bugs on the brain. So if given a choice between a wounded minnow and a bug...The bug wins. But there is good news, with the clouser you get bass and the occasional bluegill so by all means give it a try!

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

OK, thanks. What color and size hook would you suggest I start with?

RVC

RVC

I have not fished a clouser for bass but, give your post a few days and you are sure to attract the attention of those who do. Also I might suggest using the search option and entering bass flies or perhaps clouser bass.

I over dosed on bass fishing as a kid so now the slimey sirens of the cold water variety have my undivided attention.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Thanks. Clouser and bream did the trick - lots of great info. I appreciate your help.

RVC

Bluegills love worms, and crickets, and bugs of all types. They must have a very small minnow, but yes they will eat one.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I have caught Bluegills on Clousers. Size 2 hooks and medium dumb bell eyes. I was using blue and white but I always start at a new place with blue and white. I don't think there are many things you can't catch on a blue and white Clouser. I have photos but I'll have to reduce the size before I can post them.

The largest Bluegills, I've ever caught were on a size 4 white marabou streamer. They were caught in Florida, and were 12 inches long!

The average Bluegill will also eat small minnows. Try tying your Clouser's in size's like 8, 10, or 12, and try using either marabou, ostrich herl or Arctic Fox/ Red Fox fur, which will give much better action than bucktail in those small size's.

I tie some that small for Bluegill's and use Aberdeen type hooks, which have a straight eye. I prefer this type of hook for Clouser's, as they're hard to find this small in a fly hook. I also keep them rather sparse, and simple, usually all white, or with a darker, natural color, such as olive or gray as a back, and a few strands of flash, usually pearl. Although an all black fly is a killer sometimes too, as it will imitate a Leech, and they'll eat them also!

You can use small size bead chain for the eyes, which is usually enough weight for these sizes.
    Last edited by bigjim5589; 09-12-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Here is a photo of a Bluegill with a blue and white clouser still in its mouth. This is not the biggest one I got this way nor is it the smallest. It is the only one I have a photo of with the clouser still in it. I got a lot of them this way and if you notice, the fly is not that small. Hey! It only took 18 minutes to find the photo, reduce the size, upload it to photobucket and post here. Might be my best time yet!

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    ...and use Aberdeen type hooks, which have a straight eye. ....
    The hook in my pictured fly is an Aberdeen. Size 2. I use them because I fish a lot of really snaggy stuff and I can bend them out enough to save most of them. I bend the eye down before I tie with them though. I have landed Pike up to 42 1/2" on them and Bass of at least 5 pounds so I don't loose fish because of the hook. A hook on a rock and a hook on a fish get pulled on from a different spot. Bend vs. point. While it is not that hard to save one stuck on a rock, I can still put the shoulders to a big fish and not worry about loosing it.

I've caught plenty of bluegills on a size 10 mickey finn...yes, bluegills will chase minnows.

Cheers,

Robert

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast