Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pelt tanning

1. Default Re: pelt tanning

Sal, I still haven't come up with any info on the pelt tanning. How you doing on the gophers?

2. Default Re: pelt tanning

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bryson
    Sal, I still haven't come up with any info on the pelt tanning. How you doing on the gophers?
    Killed two more today but I just buried them because, a) I don't have the time or knowledge yet to deal with the pelt and b) I don't think my wife would appreciate a dead gopher in the freezer while I figure it out.
    Thanks for looking for the tanning info. though. There is a local taxidermist here in town that I might stop by one of these days.

3. Default Re: pelt tanning

Sal, I don't know what the process entails, but a surgeon friend of mine's wife got into tanning her own leather years ago (for some type of craft work) and he told me about finding a deer hide in the bath tub once. Don't know that that had any bearing on it, but they aren't married to each other now.
    Just don't use the bath tub.

4. Default Re: pelt tanning

I use borax with my pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, starling, duck, etc. skins. I've heard that if you take neats foot oil and work it into the skins, it softens them up. I'm going to try it on some of the dried skins I've done.

5. Default Re: pelt tanning

Tangle
    Let me know how the neats foot oil works out. I am still trying to figure out how to get zonker strips out of gopher pelts.
    Welcome to the forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12