Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Epoxy? Head Cement? What to use?

I've been experimenting with gloss headed midges, epoxy covered chironomids and the like but I'm not happy with the way the epoxy takes to the fly.

I've used Sally Hansen's, Loon's Hard Head and a head cement and they all give similar results.

The stuff "shrinks" after being applied. What initially looks like a great fly with a beautiful clear body or head will shrink up and then I have to re-apply, sometimes 3 times to get it on there thick enough to produce the look I'm trying to get.

I don't want to get into using a 2 part epoxy because of the mess and how sporadic my tying is, but since I only have 1 vice, I don't want to have to wait for the fly to dry and then re-apply.

What are you guys using?
    My fishing in Colorado Blog: http://coloradofly.blogspot.com//

Default Re: Epoxy? Head Cement? What to use?

Wathcing this thread with interest .. lol

I use the 2 part epoxy. hated the others I tried, the loon seems to turn opaque when it gets cold too.

Assuming the last step is the epoxy.. I tie the flies, take them off the vise, and hook them onto a piece of styrofoam, then do them all at the same time.

It's not that big a deal that way.
    Dave

I use three coats of Cellire Clear Varnish on all of my flies, no matter what type of fly (except for big pike flies), to get heads that look like this (that is a size 10 hook):
    [IMG][/IMG]

I apply one coat per day with a bodkin. The heads never turn milky, shrink or whatever. I've tried every other head coating out there...Cellire is the real deal.

Gary

I use 5 minute epoxy (clear), and SHHAN. IMO what you are applying is normal. Epoxy shellbacks usally only take me one coat. Heads like buzzers maybe up to three. We just had a video of Davey MacPhail using the UV stuff. He had to do two apps.

Quote Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
    I use three coats of Cellire Clear Varnish on all of my flies, no matter what type of fly (except for big pike flies), to get heads that look like this (that is a size 10 hook):
    [IMG][/IMG]

I apply one coat per day with a bodkin. The heads never turn milky, shrink or whatever. I've tried every other head coating out there...Cellire is the real deal.

Gary
    Uncle Gary...How do you (and Ard) get such a perfect line with the varnish, and where do you get the colored varnish?

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Dave, the Cellire varnish flows very nicely, and you can keep it thinned to ensure that...makes it easy to get that defined head line. While there are a couple Cellire colored varnishes, I don't use them. I just use the appropriate color thread, like this claret head:
    [IMG][/IMG]

I pretty much just use Gordon Griffiths 14/0 thread. It helps make small heads without ridges, which then helps make the glossy, no-ridge head.

Another:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Gary

Thanks Gary...

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

When I want those shiny heads, I put them on the dryer wheel and re-apply (hard head) as they dry. The motor on my dryer is an old electric clock so It's going 1 rev per minute. Since I'm not a particularly fast tyer, the flys have lots of time to dry before I go back to the wheel to reapply.
    I have had some less than satisfactory results, especially if the laquer is too thick.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey