Meat Whistle fly tying video

ted4887

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find a video on how to tie the meat whistle fly? I've tied it, but for some reason, it just doesn't look right to me. Not sure what I'm missing, and the few write-up's that I've found seem to indicate I'm doing everything right.

ted4887

Reaction score
Thanks Fred,

I actually tie it identically to that, except for I'm not feeding the rabbit strip through the hook. I merely tie it down to the top of the hook. Not sure if I'm missing some action because of it or not, but mine turns out relatively close to what that looks like.

The reason I ask is because I've just recently started smallmouth fishing, and white buggers have been the ticket. I was up at a local fly shop a few days ago and one of the smallmouth guys in there said a white meat whistle has been his best fly of late. I'm going to get out again this weekend and give them a try, but just wanted to see if I could find an actual video to see the difference between those directions and the way I tie mine.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Ted I tend to agree with you about NOT threading the 'skin' through the hook. Personal experience here only, but far to frequently that causes the fly to spin, like REALLY SPIN, in the water flow. Not a good plan A for your leader or your fly line.
Fred

ted4887

Reaction score
The way I'm tying it definitely worked out. I slayed some largemouth and pike for about two hours before I finally lost my last one to those darn toothy fish. I will say that as far as the flies I fish on a regular basis, this fly has some of the best action I've seen.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The way I'm tying it definitely worked out. I slayed some largemouth and pike for about two hours before I finally lost my last one to those darn toothy fish. I will say that as far as the flies I fish on a regular basis, this fly has some of the best action I've seen.
Ahhh the Pikesters .... haven't had an opportunity to fish for those fellows for years. Was a 'wire tip' leader or forget it ....:eek: And DON'T stick a finger into that jaw:shades:

ted4887

Reaction score
Yeah, they're a fun fish to catch. I didn't have any wire tips with me though, so they got the best of me quite a few times. I did bring about 3 to hand though.