Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Tying on a hook with a down eye

Any tips / tricks for tying on a hook with a down eye? Specifically keeping the thread from slipping down off the eye (losing wraps) when you're tying close to it. I feel like there should be some little things to keep in mind to make this easier. I realize this could be as simple as perhaps don't tie so close to the eye.. but the downward bend of say a scud hook has a similar effect even well back from the eye. Any thoughts appreciated.. getting a bit frustrated this AM. cheers! - Zack

Default Re: Tying on a hook with a down eye

Zack,

Good morning. Hopefully I can provide a little bit of insight for you. For the most part you answered your own question. Do not crowd the eye. This is the best way to stay out of trouble when winding the thread and it helps in keeping the eye open for your tippet. As far as scud hooks go, I always position the hook in the vice so that the eye is not in such a downward position while tying. Try this and see how it works for you.

-Forrest

Default Re: Tying on a hook with a down eye

Quote Originally Posted by Zman3382 View Post
    Any tips / tricks for tying on a hook with a down eye? Specifically keeping the thread from slipping down off the eye (losing wraps) when you're tying close to it. I feel like there should be some little things to keep in mind to make this easier. I realize this could be as simple as perhaps don't tie so close to the eye.. but the downward bend of say a scud hook has a similar effect even well back from the eye. Any thoughts appreciated.. getting a bit frustrated this AM. cheers! - Zack
    For the scud hook i usually orientate it that the part close to the eye is horizontal. You can do this right at the start, when you begin tying the fly, or you can do it when you are close to they eye and almost finished with the fly.

With time you'll find that you master the tying round the eye and you dont even notice that is on a downward plane.

Good luck
    Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

4. Default Re: Tying on a hook with a down eye

Are you using thread that's too big for the hook size? That could cause you to more easily slide off the hook eye.

Also, anytime I have the thread up close to the eye and I need to wrap material (wire, peacock herl, hackle, etc.) I throw a half-hitch on before draping the bobbin over the bobbin holder. This also prevents the thread from sliding off, and clears space to make wrapping a little easier.

Thumbs up Re: Tying on a hook with a down eye

Quote Originally Posted by notenuftoys View Post
    . . . Anytime I have the thread up close to the eye and I need to wrap material (wire, peacock herl, hackle, etc.) I throw a half-hitch on before draping the bobbin over the bobbin holder. This also prevents the thread from sliding off, and clears space to make wrapping a little easier.
    Like Notenuftoys said.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2: