I think I ruined my head cement

dave5977

Reaction score
I notice that the cement is getting thicker because it is not soaking into the thread wraps. I opened the bottle 3 - 4 months ago and it's about half full. (tried not to say half empty :thumbsup:).

I find it hard to believe that between my son and I, that we use so much already. I figured evaperation must have happened to it.

I had one of my bright ideas today, I also learned not to add mineral spirits to head cement to thin it. I didn't add that much to it really. Maybe a quarter of an eye dropper. It seem to thin it down enough.

Now the cement is drying milky, not clear. I am buying more tomorrow.

I don't suppose anyone has a fix for this... Or what to do to in the future??

Dave

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. It always starts to get thick by the bottom. I have three bottles going at all times. A new one that's really thin, a half or less bottle that's thicker, and a thick one. I don't use the real thick one much, but there are things I need the #2 bottle for pretty often. When the thin bottle gets thicker I rotate them down the list one and toss #3 in the trash. I gave up on trying to thin them or make it all the way to the bottom. If there's a trick to revive them I have no idea what it would be. :confused:

auntrout

Reaction score
You can use the head cement thinner that goes with whatever brand head cement you purchased. At my local fly shop the thinner is a little more than half the cost of the cement:

Fly Rite Cement: $4.50
Fly Rite Thinner: $2.75

sandfly

Reaction score
Toulene or xylene for thinner will stay clear...I use these to make all my cements hard or flex...there are other ones but these 2 are still the best..I keep a 2 oz. bottle at my tying desk to use with the eye dropper...

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
For cellulose based thinners (the traditional head cements that smell like nail polish) you can use plain old lacquer thinner from a hardware store (I use it on Sally Hansens's Hard as Nails too).

For water based stuff from Loon and others you can use rubbing alcohol (because it's clear, you can also use vodka if it's an emergency...)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For cellulose based thinners (the traditional head cements that smell like nail polish) you can use plain old lacquer thinner from a hardware store (I use it on Sally Hansens's Hard as Nails too).
Ditto's to Mark, I have a 1 Qt. can in the garage and keep a small bottle (4 oz.) on the bench.

Even if you use the correct reducer remember this, stir the reducer into the cement. Don't give into the urge to put some in, cap it, and then shake the cement. This results in a million tiny air bubbles some of which linger for days. These almost microscopic bubbles will create a very strange effect when the cement dries.