Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weightless synthetic flies

Default weightless synthetic flies

i need some pattern excluding ep patterns for saltwater use mainly redfish snook and tarpon

Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

bend backs, would work, as well as like a synthetic and mylar tube minnow. Do you have anythign against natural materials, or just an excess of synthetics?

i love bucktail but i just bought 70 bucks worth of synthetics and forgot to buy clouser eyes so i need something to tie.... i do tie a fly that i call a better bendback its a deceiver bendback but with synthetics the hook doesnt come through synthetics i geuss i will try to mqke some supreme hair deceivers but i really want something new

Google Tim Borski some great stuff. Check your PM's

thanks but i really cant find a good baitfish imitation using synthetics thats weightless

Quote Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
    i love bucktail but i just bought 70 bucks worth of synthetics and forgot to buy clouser eyes so i need something to tie.... i do tie a fly that i call a better bendback its a deceiver bendback but with synthetics the hook doesnt come through synthetics
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you're using too short of a hook for the length for fly you're building.

To reduce fouling, I tie bendbacks on a 3xl streamer hook, and build them so that the bend of the hook is 2/3 of the way to the tip of the tail.

These are close-

For an all synthetic version, I'd use craft fur for the tail, add some flashabou along the sides of it, and then an ice dub head made via a dubbing loop that's spun and then picked out. Sweep it all back and glue on eyes of your choice.

I'd guess it will work well for the weightless ideal you're after- I frequently throw a 2" long size 6 version of it 60' on my 3wt.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Some options (you can find tying instructions using google, we'll be adding Step by Steps for them to our pattern library soon too):

Polar Fiber Minnow- uses polar fibre, poly bear, craft fur or similar stuff, most of the time it is tied using a series of hi ties all on top of the shank. Tying everything on top of the shank helps prevent the stuff from fouling around the hook. After tying it, brush it out with an old toothbrush to get the shape you want.

Surf candy - uses 5 minute epoxy (or a UV or blue light cured resin) and something stiff and a bit crinkly like Super Hair ( not so much of a Florida pattern, but a good one up here in the northeast to imitate sandeels and other long thin baitfish)

Mushmouth uses a spine of Super Hair stiffened with Softex, and surrounded by hanks of softer material like Angel Hair or Lite Brite, also covered in Softex.

If you get a length of bead chain from a hardware store, clip the length into into pairs of beads with needle nosed pliers. This pattern is a decent, easy to tie redfish pattern using craft fur.
    Glades Critter
    Mark

Got EZ Body?

[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Your in luck. I had a flybox in the truck and it's slow at work today. Here you go...
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Nice Swirl -- The secret is out. Extra large cup of coffee + Red Bull = Profit (or at least more flies per hour)

Grassonfly I added a step by step for a Polar Minnow to our pattern library. You can use any thin, soft, wispy synthetic like Craft Fur. Stiffer harder stuff like Super Hair would not work as well. If you have long slippery stuff like Wing N' Flash, Lite Brite, SLF Blend etc it might be best to tie in by the middle of the bunch, take a couple of wraps and fold both halves rearward to help secure them and prevent the individual strands from pulling out. (Polar Fiber and Craft Fur compress easily and you can tie a thin bundle down at one end without much risk of the "hair" pulling out. It's a piece of cake to tie: Polar Fiber Minnow SBS
    Last edited by peregrines; 12-05-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Mark

theo nly trouble is i dont have polar fiber epoxy or softex but i have been making lots of buck tail deveivers and dna versions of them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast