My first tied fly....

fire instructor

Reaction score
Actually, my third, but the first two went in the trash can, as I was struggling to learn some basics on my own. Just in-case it's not recognizable (I hope that it is!), it's a Wolly Bugger, tied per Charlie Craven's instructions (hackle tied from eye back to bend).

Here's what I used:

Hook: #8 Tiemco 5263
Weight: .025" lead wire
Thread: Black 3/0 Monocord
Tail: Black Marabou
Flash: Several strands of Root Beer / Pearl Krystal Flash
Rib: Copper Ultra-wire - medium
Body: Medium Black Chenille
Hackle: Died Brown "Bugger Pack"

Certainly not a "pro" tying job, but one that I'll try to fish, come Spring!

Couldn't have gotten this far without all of the tips, suggestions, and encouragement that I've gotten from this forum. Thank you all for welcoming me into your group!

And yes, I'll be starting a real tying class NEXT week... but I couldn't wait!!!

auntrout

Reaction score
Looks great. Can't beat catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself.

fire instructor

Reaction score
Thanks, Folks! Like I've said teaching firefighters, positive reinforcement always improves performances.

Looks awsome.:thmbup: So you are teaching the class,your students should do well.
Seajay - I can teach any number of knots and rescue rigging, but all in ropes ranging from 7mm cord to 1/2" static kernmantle. This fine stuff is all new to me! And I trashed the first two attempts because I kept breaking the 3/0 (because I was either pulling too hard or not holding the bobbin correctly?). Can't wait to see how I do wth the smaller 6/0 or 8/0....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Great start! That will definitely catch fish, but you might consider hanging onto that fly, years from now you can look back on that so it will be nice to keep in a safe place. Working through Charlie Craven's instruction is a good place to begin.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Breaking the thread is all part of the learning process...:D And the wooly bigger will catch fish, good job.

Dave

Pocono

Reaction score
Yup, looks like a great first fly to me. And I agree with the other posters - that fly will catch fish for you.

You'll get to like 6/0 and 8/0 a lot once you get the feel for how much tension you can put on the thread.

If you tie up 3 more, I think you'll really be smiling ear-to-ear.

Pocono

kayo

Reaction score
Ok, I don't want to be critical, but cut the hackle to the size of the hook;)

kayo

Reaction score
A rough rule of thum with hackles should be 1.5 times the hook gap. But that can vary on tiny and extra long hooks.