this vise that vise

jayraider

Reaction score
Hey tyers,

I will start tying soon! I have been very anxious to start tying, and my birthday is coming up. I have a pretty good idea that vise will be in my near future. I just really don't know which vise would be the best for me right now.

I want something that will hold a hook very well, and i want it rotary. I am not looking for something incredibly expensive. So i am pondering if something like the Terra vise, specifically the TT Rotating Spring Action Vise, which runs about 30 bucks, would be sufficient for a first vise. Or should i go ahead and get something like the Renzetti Traveler, which i hear is pretty top heavy when on its pedestal base and about $125, or maybe the Griffin Odyessey Spider ($80). I know The Full Creel has some Peak vises. I do not know much about this brand, but the base model is around $135, so i assume they are pretty nice.

So i guess this is the real question. Are the more expensive vises a better buy considering their durability and hook holding strength? Will the inexpensive ones break after about a year, or are they what i should start out with?

philthy

Reaction score
I've got the Peak with the pedestal base myself and it's worked really well so far. Really stable and it could probably stand up to hurricane force winds. This is the first rotary I've had, so I don't have first hand knowledge on the Danvise, Renzetti, etc. but folks swear by them. If you're gonna tie ittie-bitties, the midge jaws would be a good idea. I haven't had a problem with hooks down to sz 24 in the regular jaws, but the extra room would be nice. I'm sure you'll get more input, but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

Phil

troutbum

Reaction score
Hello jayraider,Your gonna really enjoy spinning your own flies,add's a whole different dimention to the obsession.I am not sure if other's will agree with me or not,but there are2 peices of adVISE(HA!) I would like to pass along to ya.1st,I would suggest a clamp style vise over a pedestal for a beginner.Reason being is that while you MAY not have problems with the pedestal, you WONT have problem's from a clamp.Beggeners seems to be a little less nimble and as frusterating as tying can be,a tippy vise will make you wanna pull your hair out with a R/C car!
2nd, why a rotary?I think there is something to be said with learning the basic's on a straight forward vise.I have tied for close to 20 years now and a few of those years I paid a few bills tying,I have never felt the need to go to a rotary vise or a pedestal,not to say there is anything wrong with them,I just think for the purpose of learning,a good stable simle quality vise is your best bet.
Tight Lines
Aaron

tie one on

Reaction score
Good Day,

I was in that same position a while back, trying to decide
what to buy. I had a very cheap non-rotary vise for a long
time, but after taking several tying classes using rotary
(Renzetti) I knew that rotary was for me. I did some research &
ended up buying a Peak like a previous response. I love
this vise ! I tie all my own flies, I have not bought a fly for
years & if I do it is usually just as a pattern fly. I bought a
Peak from The FullCreel last Christmas for my next son-in-law &
he loves his too. They are good all-around vises with a great
warranty & are not really that $$$

If you have a chance try taking a tying class they will provide
a great experience & if they use rotary it gives you time to
use one & get used to them

Tie One On

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
jayraider,
I too, have pondered this very question in the past. I've have done exhaustive research on the different aspects (rotary vs non-rotary, c-clamp vs pedestal, etc) of some of the most notable vises available on the market today. I have spent many hours in front of five different vises tying flies before deciding on the one I currently own today.

Here is a link to the same basic question you are asking and has some great info for you:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/f39/vise-1345.html

Like, philthy said, you get what you pay for. I'm a firm believer in this truth as well. I now own a Norlander Nor-vise and couldn't be happier. Try one if you get the chance and I'm sure you will be pleased.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

jayraider

Reaction score
Thank you all for your insight. I still have a month or so and the research will continue. I just want my vise to satisfy me because i have always made lures when i was younger, and i know tying will be extremely exciting. So thanks again guys and maybe we can start trading or sharing patterns!