The best stocked store you've come across

Reaction score
In terms of fly tying materials, what is store you've been in or found online that had EVERYTHING you wanted under one roof or website.

I find that I have to look around a couple stores when i figure out what i need for my next tying project.

Is there somewhere you can get blind eye hooks and Amherst or golden pheasant tail, or some of the less easily accessible materials like jay wings (not the illegal variety, but the european species)?

just curious if there is one single store in the whole country that can facilitate my needs.

In my experience, J Stockard is probably the closest, but they still don't have everything I want!

Last edited:

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Well, for best instant in stock, Feather Craft is definitly the best in town. However, my favorite is Hargrove. Is he doesnt have it, he will order it for me and i'll get it 2-3 days later. I've been going to his shop for 14 years now and there is never anything I need in an absolute hurry and if I must have it, i will snag some from his tying bench and pay em back later.

Chukwithak

Reaction score
What about Charlie's fly box? I go in the store, I've never looked online. The store is a tyer's dream as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williamhj

Reaction score
For online stores I'd go with Caster's Fly Shop. They have a great selection and service, and free shipping! For me that's a great bonus especially when placing a smaller order. Check out Dave, the owner's, fly patterns.

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Never will find everything under one roof, especially if you're a "discriminating" tier (my family call me impossible). For online, Great Feathers in MD for Pearsall's, Kamasan and Grip(also stock Cookshill feathers), Dette's for Whiting Capes and interesting feathers for the exotic salmon tier, Steve Cooper at Cookshill in the UK for game skins and feathers, and I just put in an order with Finney's flies in Ireland. I prefer buying feathers where I know the quality is outstanding.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Fly Fishing Specialties out of Citrus Heights, California, has the best selection in Northern California. I used to write the materials orders for the shop. Trust me, maintaining the material inventory was a major task.

In regards to all of California, some of my former colleagues in the industry told me, only Bob Marriotts in Fullerton may have more inventory.

Not to get confused with my old digs, there is an online fly shop called flytyingspecialties.com. It is operated by a great guy named Steve Korbay. He usually stocks some hard to find materials. He is hardcore into the Czech nymphing scene.

Dennis

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Bob Marriott' would be my choice.

I have not been in any fly shop like it for equipment AND expertise. Cabela's may have a lot, but in Marriott you will find employees that actually have used the stuff in the store.

madjoni

Reaction score
I envy and hate you guys :)
I dont have single one store with with fly tying stuff in my country or anywhere near by:(:(:(

jaybo41

Reaction score
I have used JStockard and Feather-Craft for materials and have been pleased with both shops. Both have good selections of materials, although I think Feather-Craft has a notch up on harder to find or greater quality materials. Hook & Hackle is another great one to do business with. Great selection and very good prices. When I'm placing an order, I end up buying from whichever one has the majority or all of what I'm looking for. Sometimes end up getting things from multiple shops. With certain materials like feathers, I like to actually see them before buying. I hit my local shop frequently for materials too.

Thanks for the tip on Bob Marriott's shop, I will have to add that to the list.

s fontinalis, if you are ever headed to Central PA, you should go to Fly Fisher's Paradise in State College. FFP has a very good selection of materials. The Feathered Hook is just a cool shop that you should try and stop in if you are in the Coburn area.

Last edited:
Reaction score
S Fonatalis, if you are ever headed to Central PA, you should go to Fly Fisher's Paradise in State College. FFP has a very good selection of materials. The Feathered Hook is just a cool shop that you should try and stop in if you are in the Coburn area.
Jaybo

Thanks for the pointers...should I find myself in that neck of the woods, i'll be sure to check them out.

Thanks to everyone else also for the tips on great stores. Some I was aware of, others not. I hope everyone else finds something they can use from this thread too.

I should add here, that Mad River Outfitters in Ohio has a pretty good selection online too, and with free shipping over $25, its hard not to spend that much!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I should also add, Kirks Fly Shop in Estes Park, CO was a FANTASTIC! shop!!!!They had everything!! If its the best non-local shop I've been in yet.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Eunan,

While I wish I could tell you where to get that silver bullet, alas I can not. However I will offer this consolation; the collection of fly tying materials and mental cataloging of where to find what and when is a life's work. With the internet at your disposal you will work wonders around what I could do as a young man seeking often exotic odds & ends. As time wears on you will find that a collection will build from which you will be able to draw about anything you may desire. Be patient, those were 2 words that fell on my young ears hard but in the end I became........ both patient and well stocked.

Ard

mojo

Reaction score
I envy and hate you guys :)
I dont have single one store with with fly tying stuff in my country or anywhere near by:(:(:(
Can you get your maerials from the U.S. or Europe fairly reasonable?
BTW, J Stockard is great for us.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
While I wish I could tell you where to get that silver bullet, alas I can not. However I will offer this consolation; the collection of fly tying materials and mental cataloging of where to find what and when is a life's work. With the internet at your disposal you will work wonders around what I could do as a young man seeking often exotic odds & ends. As time wears on you will find that a collection will build from which you will be able to draw about anything you may desire. Be patient, those were 2 words that fell on my young ears hard but in the end I became........ both patient and well stocked.
Some of the best advise I've ever read! :worthy:

I think a well stocked supplier will have many of our tying needs, but may not have it all. It will depend on what you're tying for, as far as species. Since I'm primarily a warmwater & tidalwater angler, my needs are different than many of you who are primarily trout anglers. I'm in total agreement with what Ard has posted, and have a large stock of tying materials I've collected over many years. But, I still look around, and take note of shops & online suppliers mentioned by others.

The internet is a great system, and knowing what you need, you can narrow down some searches by looking in specific geographic areas. For example, if you're looking for tying materials to tie Tarpon flies, checking out shops in Florida may not be a bad idea. Not to say that shops in other areas will not have what you need, but you may find that those in an area where that type of fishing is predominant, may have a better selection. If you're only looking for the best price, then you will have to search around and spend time comparing.

I've yet to find a shop that has had all of the materials I use, so I buy from multiple sources.

madjoni

Reaction score
Can you get your maerials from the U.S. or Europe fairly reasonable?
Well,tough answer to that :icon_conf Short,I can order by mail but that is not same thing.Something you see in photo is not same when you put it in your hands.Like whiting cock neck for example that I got 5-6 years ago ,allegedly first class for dry flies, ordered online from Cabelas I had to use mostly for wet flies :( and I dont want even to talk about small things....:(:(:( If I dont like stuff that I got I cant send it back for example ...

West Europe is far more expensive than USA ...and all good stuff for tying comes to Europe from USA .

But not everything was bad and I was lucky enough to have some of my friends that were on business trips to USA to by me directly in store stuff I need so please continue this thread so I will know where to send someone next time :D

fire instructor

Reaction score
Hat's off to Shu-Fly Shop, from Nanuet, NY, who had a booth at the Somerset, NJ Fly Show. Not only were they very well stocked, they also took the time with a "newbie" like me, to go through my shopping list (put together from Charlie Craven's book, my fly-tying class, and the ongoing SBS on this forum), they helped me find most everything, and offered accectable alternative materials when they couldn't. There were a couple of items tat they didn't have, and didn't have an alternative, and they even directed me to a vendor that did!