Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No-foul Bunny

Default No-foul Bunny

My friend Gary was tying these at the most recent club meeting and I thought I'd share his video.
    I've also included a photo of Gary working hard for some fish

[ame]http://youtu.be/QCi45_CsAZ4[/ame]

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

2. Likes jpbfly, gatortransplant, madjoni liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No-foul Bunny

Rip: Very nice technique for tying a streamer where the tail won't get fouled in the hook! I see Gary takes his surf fishing very serious!
    Larry

Blog Entries

Interesting way to tie streamers,thanks for sharing RipNext time ask Gary to take off his waders before sunbathing

Blog Entries

That's a heck of an idea, I'm already thinking of how I can apply to replacing furled bodies on some flies!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I may have to try this with a Reynold's Pike fly. It would be great to be able to do them without the weed gaurd. I say weed gaurd but it's real purpose is to keep the tail from wrapping the hook. Thanks for posting that.

So Clever!! I should have thought of that years ago. Does anyone have a link/picture/recipe of a "Snake" fly??? From what I remember of seeing on a while back it has a very long tail that may benefit from this technique.

What a neat trick, thanks for sharing.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

nice work. you should call it a thingamafeather..

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    So Clever!! I should have thought of that years ago. Does anyone have a link/picture/recipe of a "Snake" fly??? From what I remember of seeing on a while back it has a very long tail that may benefit from this technique.
    The Tabory snake fly traditionally has a tail of ostrich herl, but saddle hackle has long been acceptable too.
    If you were to tie the snake fly with a bunny tail you'd almost be required to use either the technique in the video or a "mono loop support" as the hydrolics of water passing around the deerhair head would foul the tail for sure.

BUNNY Mono loop support
    I tie my mono loop support in a bit differently than pictured in this link
    Instead on tying the loop in and then tying in the tail resting on the loop, I tie in my tail first and then tie the loop on top .
    You then pull the tail up through the loop, trapping it in place.

Here's a traditional Tabory snake fly
    http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/sbssnake_fly.htm
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Thanks RIP, what I saw must have been a hybridized version, either that or just mis-named because I'm pretty sure it was made with a bunny strip. You said they have been made with hackle feathers; that would be quite a pricey fly these days! By the way, the fad is not completely dead. I saw Steven Tyler wearing a quarter grizzly saddle on each side of his wig earlier this week on TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast