trying to tie the wet fly

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
well me and my cousin both made a wet fly today. we have no idea what they r called we just looked at a lot of um and came up with some colors.
I used black thread and silver tinsel, he used olive thread and gold tinsel, then we used peacock for the front body and then black partridge hackle for the front. what ya guys think? my partridge looks messed up in the pic at the bottom but its just cause its laying on the table. could they catch fish? do they have a name?

Attachments

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
just made this pheasent tail!!! looks better than alot of the flies i have tried so far!! :frogdance

one thing wrong tho.. my tails twist alot even tho I straighten um out??? got to work on that!

Attachments

tie one on

Reaction score
You are tying up a storm ! That's great.

Your wet flies look good. Many wet fly patterns are
just simple thread, wire & fluffy hackle. You'll be very
surprised how good they will work.

Keep up the good work. Make sure to try out your
new flies. These type of flies don't go too far below
the surface, so working them is quite simple.

I personally like to give mine a very little "twitch"
from time to time as they flow with the current.

Keep tying, but it looks like your hooked already,

Tie One On

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
hooked is the word!!! I am off to michaels and gander again tommorrow to grab a couple things like hooks and anything cool from the craft store thats worth anything. my cousin is hooked just like me. I don't kno if I will ever even use half these flies? its just fun. I got so many flies. I don't know what to do with um lol. I will try to make something different tomorrow? I tried a wooley bugger but it came out retarded. I wasn't trying to be simple tho. I was adding crazy stuff. oh well. keep ya posted!

BigCliff

Reaction score
The soft hackles look pretty great. I'm not sure you're using the ideal type of partridge feather, but those still look like they would catch fish. If they've got em at Gander, get a full hungarian partridge skin in the natural coloration. The feathers are naturally speckled and that helps them look extremely alive in the water. Getting the whole skin is the best way to make sure you get the full variety of the ideal feathers on a partridge.

The pheasant tail looks good, but you don't need so many fibers in the tail. Most mayfly nymphs have 3 strands of tail. You don't need to reduce it to this, but a tail that looks more like a paintbrush doesn't imitate the natural all that closely.

Your progress is very impressive!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
well me and my cousin both made a wet fly today. we have no idea what they r called we just looked at a lot of um and came up with some colors.
I used black thread and silver tinsel, he used olive thread and gold tinsel, then we used peacock for the front body and then black partridge hackle for the front. what ya guys think? my partridge looks messed up in the pic at the bottom but its just cause its laying on the table. could they catch fish? do they have a name?
Hi George,

The fly style in these photos is called a "Soft Hackle" fly. The hackle needs to be very soft and pointed slightly backward. It also should be very sparse. Partridge is one of the best hackle for this style of fly. The bodies look really great. I consider Peacock Herl as the single best material for fly tying. You can make bodies, backs, wing cases and collars from herl. It is a great ingredient in any fly. The Price Nymph would not be so effective with out the peacock body.

Frank

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
thanks good to hear we are doing something right finally. next time I will use less tail feathers. I actually had them sparse at 1st then said no not enough and put more. ya frank I got lots of peacock herl! got it for a dollar and 50 cents for a big feather with the big eye on it. plus got some in the materials I got the other day. the partridge I got is from js stockard . it was 1.95 for a bag. its called hairline dubbing inc's dyed black hungarian partridge feathers. I also got olive.that place got some fast shipping and crazy deals. you can get 5.00 off for just registering and then you can refer people for more bonus points!!. I got some wet fly hackle also in my materials. it looks more of a natural color. well thanks guys. I will see if I can make something else now. keep ya posted

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I was bored tonight and let my imagination go. I looked at a micky finn. well I didn't have yellow bucktail but iI did have the white and red and black so I used some and then used silver pipe cleaner for the body. I also added flash for lateral lines. not bad for not ever knowing what I was gonna do when I started! wonder if it could work as a bleeding minnow imitation? I will try it out and let ya know! this was tied on a number 6 streamer hook.

Attachments

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
caught 8 creek chubs today with the pheasent tail. almost had something bigger. seen a lil ledge and casted past it. 2 seconds after that ,it jumped about a foot in the air and this was taking the pictured nymph! but then as sweet as it was, it came off the hook about 5 seconds after i started fighting it!!! oh well at least I caught something with my own fly. the stream was really low. that kinda didn't help either.

troutbum

Reaction score
Here's a little tip for ya,Always tie at least two of every fly,The second one will be better than the first,and if you ever loose it while the fish are hot,well you got a spare.
Trust me,It didnt take long before I would tie a t least a dozen of the exact same fly in a row.My tieing improved dramatically,as did the volume of good useable flies in my box.
Tight Lines
Aaron

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
heres the 3rd pheasent tail. like you said the more you make the better you do. its better cause I used the herl by the eye of the peacock. heres the pics! I actually messed up a couple times on this one. had to unwrap and redo stuff. my bad tho. I had a couple beers! :p

Attachments