Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping fly pattern recipes?

Default Re: Keeping fly pattern recipes?

I usually search youtube for any standard patterns I want to tie, and if they are mine, I usually type the recipe out and take a picture of the fly and save it on my computer or I just remember how to tie it. I have a dozen or so flies I use at the two major stillwaters I fish, and flies I use in the river, and flies that I have tied up to try for one reason or another in my fly boxes.

I actually have it on my list to sort my fly boxes this weekend and reset them - a couple for the stillwaters, a couple for the river, a couple dry fly boxes, etc...of course I take them all where ever I go, just in case none of the normal stuff is working.

Weather is going to be bad again all weekend so no fishing and I have already tied up a dozen leaders, and a dozen flies last weekend due to weather being too windy to fish.

d
    ex·pe·ri·ence noun \ik-ˈspir-ē-ən(t)s\

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

I keep all of my flies and recipes in a program called "OneNote" from MicroSoft. I have looked at other fly tying data base applications but I have not been impressed with them.

I'm just not that organized. I do keep a folder in my computer with recipes, though. When I come across a fly recipe online that I think I'll want to tie sometime, I open a word doc and do cut and paste. The format is:

Name of Fly
    Photo
    Materials
    Recipe
    Step by step (if available)
    Credit

I file them in my folder and when I want to tie one I simply call it up on screen. There are three subfolders; Trout, Bass, & Salt.

My intention was to add personal notes to each recipe after fishing them, but I never have done it. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by darwin View Post
    I keep all of my flies and recipes in a program called "OneNote" from MicroSoft. I have looked at other fly tying data base applications but I have not been impressed with them.

I like Open Office. That is where I put my original patterns with photos. It is open source and free. The Open Writer is the one that I add my documents and recipes etc... I have a different name for every fly, and file. So I am sure I am not doing my computer any favors with all those files. But that is how I am doing it presently for my stuff. Now other patterns I have yet to tie, that is in my bookmarks mostly. I have not tried One Note. I guess I better take a look at that.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Its rare that I follow a recipe but then most of what I tie are the old standards that are simple enough to remember. When I started tying I used to keep index cards by the vise and over time they're just ingrained in memory.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12