Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default twisting silk worm gut

Anyone twist their own silk worm gut? If so, how do you do it? I know there are antique gut twisters out there for sale, but i'm not really inclined to buy one...
    Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

Default Re: twisting silk worm gut

Believe it or not there's a site called wormspit.com

Under "silk work" you'll see links for making silk gut and silk thread from the critters.

Good luck-- and keep us posted.
    Mark

And....
    oakenking: Silkworm gut

Once the silk worm gut was dried it was graded as to quality and diameter. Then the sections were tied into a leader. What is interesting is Halford shows a double surgeon's knot being used rather than a bloodknot. The Double Surgeon's probably used less line.
    Some folks say gut turned over better- probably just fancy.

THanks guys, i found those when i was searching, but neither really give an idea of how to twist the gut. I don't want it for leaders, just eyes on blind eye hooks
    Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

I twist a little gut from time to time. I have done it two ways. I'll take three strands about a foot long, soak it for a little while and then twist it up with hackle pliers and clamp it tight between two vices to dry. The problem here is that when you want to use the gut you have to cut it. soak it again and tie it in.

That way works ok but what I have been doing lately is cutting three pieces the size I need for the fly. Then placing them in a wet paper towel for about 5-10 minutes. Then I tie one end of all three on the hook then twist it with hackle pliers and bend it around to desired eye size then tie it off again.

dont soak it too long, The gut will swell if it is soaked for a long period of time. you have the gut twisted tight when you tie it in but as it drys it leaves gaps.

The gut on this fly was twisted when tied on the shank

The gut on this fly soaked for way way too long so when it dried it resulted in those nasty gaps.

I dont know if any of this helped at all. Gut has been something I have struggled with. Your not alone.

6. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Halford used a tobaco pouch with one of those little stones you soak with water. I'm reading The Dry Fly Man's Handbook by Halford just for fun but it is pretty amazing- he used a loop on the end of his fly line. A lot of the material is as valid today as it was in 1910. A fun read.