Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sculpin

1. Default sculpin

Does anyone have a good or great sculpin pattern for the great lakes area? just asking...

2. Default Re: sculpin

One of the best sculpin patterns I have used lately is a double bunny. Tied in the proper color combonation for the sculpins in your area, with added cheeks of red it is deadly.
    fatguide

fish or DIE

3. Default Re: sculpin

Try this one. One of the best things about tying your
    own flies is the ability to alter patterns & come up with
    new ones. I have tied my own version & added non-lead
    wire to give it some weight to get it down. Try it out,
    this one works.

Tie One On

Feenstra Sculpin Emulator - Fly Patterns - Quest Outdoors, Ltd.

4. Default Re: sculpin

I tie the Kelly Gallop Sculpin. Kinda like a Muddler and the deer hair gives it great action. Pretty easy to tie if you know how to stack hair.
    I also tie them in Brown, Black and Olive, but Yellow is good.

Default Re: sculpin

I tie this---
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    For full pattern contact me...
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

The tier that Joni mentioned, Kelly Galloup is originally from Michigan, He has 2 popular streamer patterns out west here called a "Zoo Cougar" and a "Butt Monkey", perhaps you could tie them with some color variations more closely seen in your area.

He has a great read on fishing and tying streamers called "modern streamers for trophy trout", check it out.

7. Default Re: sculpin

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    The tier that Joni mentioned, Kelly Galloup is originally from Michigan, He has 2 popular streamer patterns out west here called a "Zoo Cougar" and a "Butt Monkey", perhaps you could tie them with some color variations more closely seen in your area.

He has a great read on fishing and tying streamers called "modern streamers for trophy trout", check it out.
    Right you are. I tied the Zoo Cougar in Yellow, Tan, Brown, Black and Olive. Tried one in Burnt Orange last year and it was killer. This flie is a little time consuming so, I don't use it or tie it as often as I should.

They can be a little time consuming, but if you get all the materials out and ready you can commit to sit down on a cold winter day and tie up enough to last a while.
    I would like to spend some time with Kelly around the Slide Inn area on the Madison where his shop is, there are some big toads in that water, but tricky wading and fast current.