BH Flashback Pheasent Tails!

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
made me a few a couple mins ago. they are size 12 and I started pinching my barbs down on all my hooks now. will try some 14s asap. the only thing I did different than the regular PT is that I used flashback peacock material over the PT wingcase. worked out great!! I am gonna make me some copper johns like that also next I think! I like that flashback material! I had some on a copper john flys wingcase that I bought from a store and used to slang some fish with it when noone else was catching.. here our mine. there way better than the 1st pt's I made when I 1st started tying.

Attachments

BigCliff

Reaction score
Those are looking pretty dang good man. Gets real fun when you get down to the size 18 version.

fatguide

Reaction score
Great looking flies McFly. Your proportions are right on. Of course it doesn't matter what I think, it's the fish that have the final say. How long have you been tying?
I started tying all my PT's on scud hooks after an outing on the Missouri were the fish straightened or broke the bend of the hook. Scud hooks are typicly heaver wire and the curve of the hook gives the bug a natural curved look. They run one size smaller (a #14 scud hook is equal to a #16 reg hook).

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
thanks guys. caught 2 creek chubs on it when I went last time. not much was biting on anything tho. it was like 40 mph winds lol. will have to try some smaller sizes.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I just started tying maybe 2 months ago or so? I am in the middle of getting all my materials. everytime I get stuff I can make more and better variations of stuff. tying is fun!! can't wait to get to those smaller flies. I think I am no where near perfect but am starting to get the hang of the basics. I am saving to get some capes so I can make some dries. its starting winter here so I am in no hurry tho. still the best part of all is catching fish on the things you tied! keep ya posted because the steelheads (big rainbows) are starting to come in! I have yet to catch one ever on a fly or even see one yet this fall. can't wait to catch me one of them! I will post pix of um when I do.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'm not one to throw out praise where its not warranted, but your flies really are coming along at an amazing pace. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's proud of your progress, and I'm sure i speak for all when I say don't hesitate to ask for help.

Honestly, I'd love it if your tying gets ahead of my knowledge base, because I'd love to progress my learning along with you as you're tying. Yes, I'm admitting that I don't know everything, but I know I can help you catch more fish.

Joni

Reaction score
Not a darn thing wrong with your tying, you flies or anything else. Those are fantastic! My favorite nymph in the world!
NEXT you gotta try them in different colors. You can get dyed pheasantail just about every where now. I have killed on Yellow, Purple, RED is unbelievable and burnt orange. All these different flies and hatches from one pattern in different colors....KEWL