Mr March Brown

FlySlinger

Reaction score
Hi Fellows, This is my First real Post..I thought I would Tye you Up a Catskill Type March Brown....I just got a new Camera and I thought I would see how it works...

Talk To You Later

FlySlinger

BigCliff

Reaction score
Well done man! Did you leave the hook shank bare by the eye to make it easier to tie a Harvey style knot?

FlySlinger

Reaction score
Well done man! Did you leave the hook shank bare by the eye to make it easier to tie a Harvey style knot?
Hi Big Cliff,

That Fly Is a Catskill Style Fly...Reuben Cross is accredited for establishing the method of leaving a 16th inch bare neck behind the head of the fly....It was Made Popular By some other Famous Tying Family's like The Dette Family and the Darbee's Both of Roscoe, NY...George Harvey Tied that Fly also I believe, But he didn't Originate it...

It is nice to be aboard here Big Cliff...I do Trout and Bass Flies I hope you don't mind if I don't post a few...I didn't do anything wrong did I??

Nice Talking to you

Frank W Zervos

FISHN50

Reaction score
The only thing I noticed was that you had three extra fibers in the right wing & one too many fibers in the tail ......

Nice fly, Nice Pics .. What type camera did you use??

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi FlySlinger,

A nice tye! The only thing I would do differently would be to flatten that barb. You did nothing wrong with posting your flies as long as you are not commercial and make your post into an ad. Even if you are commercal it is OK to post as long as it is information and not trying to post ads. What you did is great and I look forward to more.

Tell us about your camera.

Frank

FlySlinger

Reaction score
Hi Fellows

My name is Frank W Zervos, you can call me Frank or FlySlinger it don't matter to me...I have Been a Tyer For a while...I am 58, Boy that is sounding very old these days...I started Tying Flies When I was 19, I started using a pair of Channel locks...I was Tying streamers and I caught Bass with those Streamers and I still have my first 0ne...LoL

I have been tying on WVAngler.com...My Mind Started roaming and I ended up here...I was Using an old FujiFilm camera that I had since 1998...I was using it to talk pictures for Glassware me and my mother had a little Business at the time..I use it for the forums for a while a lot latter on...It was only 1.5 mega Pixels and it became very hard to keep up with the newer cameras as they became more and more Powerful...So a Week ago I went looking and I came up with another Fuji film....I have only had it for a Week so I can't honestly recommend this Camera...except it seems to take very good Pictures...I really think that I will get better at using this camera....The down side is it Takes 4 Double a Batteries and it seems like it Uses them pretty Fast...Of course that could be because I don't really know the camera Yet...But actually I like it so Far...I have some other Photo's that I took last night that turned out better..These are of other types of Flies...I will release these soon if you don't mind...

I am not a commercial Tyer....I have in the past Tied commercially back in the 90's...But for the most part I find that very few People want to pay for flies by a real Professional...The would rather buy from Asia...LOl..

I do like Fly Art...But this is not used for Fishing purposes...so I would not consider my self a commercial tyer.....I just like having Fun and I do hope You fellows won't throw me out of here....

Thank you

Frank W Zervos

BigCliff

Reaction score
Flyslinger,
Post all you want to man, those flies look great.

BTW I was just wondering if you use this style knot Knots 101, by Lefty Kreh which has the loops cinched around the hook shank itself. Somehow I never learned that a proper Catskill dry has that small portion of the shank left bare.

FlySlinger

Reaction score
Hi Big Cliff

The knot that your are talking about is the Turle Knot....I still Use that knot Occasionally, But I still Use the Improved Clinch knot most of the Time. This Knot seems to have better Strength..Now when i am Using a real small Fly like a size 26 or something In that range then I have to Use something that presents a smaller profile...Wrong knots on a hook that small will increase the size of the hook by 25% and you just can't have that.....Thats if you want to catch any fish...LOL

I will Post some more soon...I am waiting for an Ac Adapter I ordered... It would have been here today I believe, If it wasn't a Holiday....This should allow me to get more of an extended Use out of my Battery's...

Talk to you latter

Frank W Zervos