beetle

dhayden

Reaction score
Nice and buggy. I like the legs.

If the trout aren't extremely picky.. you might put on a small orange or yellow indicator foam piece on top of the black. I'd tie it in at the 'neck'

Here's another way:

Charlie's FlyBox - Beetle

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Terry: Very nice looking beetle! That should be a good attractor. Would you mind listing out the materials, I'd like to make a few.

L

Liphookedau

playing with foam
size 16 beetle thanks for looking, terry
Hi Terry & Larry,they are a great Fly & is becoming common in everyones Boxes,Terry your Pattern looks great & is similiar to the ones I've tied for the #1 Terrestial Swap,where I have My Recipe,I've also explained how I fish it,I've tied them in many colours/sizes & they all catch Fish.
If you give your Recipe I will try it,being not much different to mine,I mainly tie mine on #8 or #10 Grub Hooks as that's the Size of The Beetle which congreate around The Gum Trees over here.

Brian.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Bushy little bugger! Is that just a long peacock herl or a lot of short hackle? Looks nice, I wonder how it floats though. You may have to trim it flat across the bottom...guess you find out!

L

Liphookedau

Bushy little bugger! Is that just a long peacock herl or a lot of short hackle? Looks nice, I wonder how it floats though. You may have to trim it flat across the bottom...guess you find out!
Dean.
I'm waiting for Terry's Recipe just to see how he Ties it.
I firstly Palmered The Hackle,now I only Tie Hackle for The Legs at The front of the Fly to save clipping,after using Peacock Herl,Chenille,Mohair,which is good I now mainly use Medium Cactus Chenille.

That's what's so good about NAFFF we all can Trade Patterns,info etc etc.
Brian

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Looks great! I'm waiting to hear what's on the bottom like everyone else!!!
I'm in love with beetle fishing; the fish in the smaller streams I fish in PA just kill them from july to early sepember. My favorite recipe is black foam, with black saddle palmered along the length of the entire hook. Yours is considerably more buggy.

bigtel

Reaction score
hi guys the legs are formed with black ostritch herl,probably to much but will try it and let you know.next ones will have some mirage or something similar over the back to form a nice shiney wingcase.

thanks for the comments.

terry

L

Liphookedau

I've uploaded a few Beetles to my Pictures & Albums however I haven't added them to the Threads,check them out as I've mentioned before they are very similiar to Bigtel's.
Brian

Joni

Reaction score
I put a tail on this and fish it with a sinking line, but basically the same pattern.
Ever try "LOCO FOAM" this is called Oil Slick

wt bash

Reaction score
That looks like it would crush smallies as a tadpole pattern there Joni, here's some of the beetles that live in my boxes I do some with and without the CDC 'wing' it just makes it easy to see in certain light.

I guess we should make this the official Beetle Thread.

L

Liphookedau

Joni,It's really good stuff I'll have to order some,the Tails on our Beetles are only short.
Beetles/History
It was The time over here when The Beetles literally swarmed around The Gum Trees in their thousands & the Trout was really feasting on them & we all we all were using Beetle Patterns,so I suggested to Mark we have a Beetle Swap as I hadn't seen any of your Patterns.
It eventuated as The #1 Terrestial Swap & turned out so popular Mark ran a # 2 Terrestial Swap.
The Beetles range in size from a #12 Size Hook Right up to The Huge Christmas Beetles Tied on # 6 & #4 Hooks.
I have seen Gum Trees In LA however I don't know if they are elseware in The US or whether The Beetles Followed them over,as it's a long way to Fly,13 1/2 in a JUmbo.
Brian