Redfish Fly Patterns?

matt o

Reaction score
I am a beginner, been tying a bunch of clousers to start with and recently tied some bendbacks and some simple redfish flies. Any suggestions for a good redfish fly (murkey water)?

These are the simple patterns I tied these this week

bigjim5589

Reaction score
What you have there should work well. "Murky" means different things to different people. If you mean stained, like the brown tannic stain of many backwaters, then those flies will be fine. If you mean muddy stained, then you want flies that push water and are of a profile & color that is easily seen up close.

I would use the basic concept of what you have. Vary the eye weights a bit for different depths & fall rates. Tie some in other colors such as olive, black, hot pink combinations. Tie some with a body of rabbit & what you're using, and perhaps some with a dense "head", perhaps wool or spun deerhair. This will give you some flies that push a lot of water.

Color is usually not as important as presentation in water that has lower visibility, you usually only need to get the fly where the fish can find it. Generally you only need light & dark as far as color. But, color can aid in that regard. Try combinations such a black body, hot pink or chartreuse tail, or the "Electric Chicken" combination of Hot pink & Chartreuse. All black might be useful too.

I use similar flies & colors for LM bass in tidal creeks, which can have off color, tannic stained or muddy water sometimes. The consensus used to be bright colors for such water conditions & this works, but dark colors, particularly black works well too, as it provides a highly visible contrasting profile. The fish don't see it until they're close, but once they are, they see it very well. Black also works well in clearer water too sometimes! :)

Here's what I mean by using a "head" of deerhair or wool. Not the best picture, but should give you the general idea.

You can also add a wing to the flies you have such as this which helps push a bit of water & broaden the profile:

Last edited:

riverbilly

Reaction score
Even though I'm just two hours away from some good redfishing I haven't done the salt with the flyrod yet. Hoping to remedy that soon though.

On the Texas coast there's a fly I've seen talked about a lot called "Redfish Crack". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add an external link here on the board so use you favorite search engine and it should pop up. I've seen a spoon fly with the same name but that's not it. Looks like this, but I've seen lots of different variations.
Matter of fact, my state kayak fishing fourm just finished a swap of them.

Seen photos of lots of big reds with this fly in it's mouth.
I have a link to a SBS I can send you.

Another productive pattern I've seen is a crab fly.
Hope that helps.

matt o

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I will try to tie the redfish crack fly and make some variations to the flies I tied to move more water.

BigCliff

Reaction score
You're typically going to find redfish doing one of two things- cruising or tailing/grubbing. I typically start out with a fly best suited to cruising fish, and have plenty of tailing fish flies on hand if I find them that way.

A "cruising redfish fly" should be very bright and flashy so as to draw their attention as they're moving along. Weight helps as it will get it down to where their mouth is, and should help it cast in the wind, but you don't need alot of weight. I'm generally throwing bendbacks or seaducer type flies at cruisers-

For tailing fish, you want something that's got enough weight to get down quick, and some rubber legs to wiggle about when they're up close looking at it-

darwin

Reaction score
When I lived on the Gulf coast the good colors where red/hot orange, yellow, chartreuse, black and white in bait fish type patterns. Silver spoons where also good at times, but that is not a fly.
Good luck and have fun. :cool:

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Man im diggin some of those flies. Im going to have to start tying some for next June, gonna be in Bama and I hope to stick some fish.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
First and foremost, that "redfish crack" fly is about to be tied. That thing looks great. Nice ideas all and thanks Matt for the thread idea, I just so happen to be home in Florida fishing for reds so this is helpful :D

I know everyone says this, but don't forget the oldy but goody clouser! I caught this last night on a heavier yellow clouser with some big dumbbell eyes and an erratic retrieve:

The yellow clouser has been my biggest producer of saltwater species on this trip.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I know everyone says this, but don't forget the oldy but goody clouser! I caught this last night on a heavier yellow clouser with some big dumbbell eyes and an erratic retrieve...
Its a solid producer for sure.

I like to add a head like a Borski slider so it pushes a bit more water-

lthrnk03

Reaction score
AJ-

thats an awesome looking red! I'm about 2 hrs from the NC coast and desperately want to try my hand at fly fishing for reds!

matt o

Reaction score
I have a whole lot of clousers ready to go in sizes 4 and 1. All in chartreuse and white.

Also tied up the fools gold crab, I will get some shots up in a bit of it. It was a little harder to tie than I was expecting since I am still very new to this.

fishindave

Reaction score
Its a solid producer for sure.

I like to add a head like a Borski slider so it pushes a bit more water-

X2....This is probably the most important thing while fishing the dark stuff...And I also like the darker colors, purple/black as they seem to show up better against the flat lit brown colored water.

Just my .02 ;)

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Even though I'm just two hours away from some good redfishing I haven't done the salt with the flyrod yet. Hoping to remedy that soon though.

On the Texas coast there's a fly I've seen talked about a lot called "Redfish Crack". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add an external link here on the board so use you favorite search engine and it should pop up. I've seen a spoon fly with the same name but that's not it. Looks like this, but I've seen lots of different variations.
Matter of fact, my state kayak fishing fourm just finished a swap of them.

Seen photos of lots of big reds with this fly in it's mouth.
I have a link to a SBS I can send you.

Another productive pattern I've seen is a crab fly.
Hope that helps.
I gave tying this fly a whirl last night, everything seems pretty straight forward except how you tie in the EP fibers. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

-Ian

Last edited:

hightide

Reaction score
The EP fibers that we use are in a dubbing brush that Enrico sells. You just attach the brush with a few wraps, make a couple of wraps, tie the brush at the end of your wraps, brush the fibers back and you are done.