Ants

friar tyer

Reaction score
I've been using ants a lot lately and I'm surprised at how effective they are. I'm curious to see what ants other people are using. What's your favorite ant pattern? Have any pics you want to share?

Here are a couple pics of the ant pattern I've been tying/fishing.

L

Liphookedau

Nice Pattern,I have one similar with an Orange Post which is good for a "Sight Indicator",Ants are always in or around Water,it's surprising how many simple Patterns there are which are easy to Tie,once more they all catch Fish.
Brian.

friar tyer

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the McMurray Ant, Floats forever. If only they were not such a pain in the A to make.
Interesting pattern. Definitely looks like a pain to make.

Nice Pattern,I have one similar with an Orange Post which is good for a "Sight Indicator",Ants are always in or around Water,it's surprising how many simple Patterns there are which are easy to Tie,once more they all catch Fish.
Brian.
Thanks. I really like simple patterns. I don't mind losing them so much since I can replace them easily.

Haven't tried them yet. Looks like the Gorilla Glue has allot of potential though. I'll have to pick up a bottle and see what I can do with it.

gt05254

Reaction score
I like all kinds of ants. We have a reddish brown ant around here that the fish like a lot.
[/IMG]
Gary

stimmy7

Reaction score
I think Feathercraft used to sell pre-made McMurray ant and bee bodies. May have been someone else, but I'm not sure.

They are sort of a pain to make, but if you do them production style, they're not too bad, then tie a couple dozen and you're done for quite awhile.

Get a length of the proper sized balsa, use a triangle file to make "vee" notches between the body segments, paint them all with black nail polish, use a pin drill and drill one end, cut one segment off th e'stick' with an x-acto knife, drill the next end and repeat the process until you have all your segments drilled and cut.

Cut a short length of mono, mount it in your vise, pick up body segment in a pair of bead pliers (so you don't crush it) apply a drop of Krazy glue to one end of the mono, mount the body segment, repeat for second segment.

If you plan to do bees, you can dip one end of the completed body halfway in yellow paint.

L

Liphookedau

We also have many different Size & coloured Ants,from small Black ones about 3/16" long,a Little Green Ant about 3/8" long which really know how to bite,A Black Jumping Ants,Meat Ants etc,etc, right up to Large Ants over 1" long which will take a piece out of you,so there is no problem with having many different sizes & colours like Gary's.
Brian..

tamster321

Reaction score
Wow...all the ants on here are great looking! I love using ants too! There is something about them that the fish just love!! Thanks for posting!