Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popper help

Default Popper help

I bought some of those hard bodied foam popper with the matching hooks. Figured I wouldn't feel as bad as I do when I lose a $6 Boogle Bug if I make my own. Well I colored the body with a regular sharpie (yellow) and waited several days to make sure it dried completely. I then tried to coat with Sally Hansen "Hard as nails" and it smeared immediately.

What am I doing wrong? I want to have a nice glossy, protective coating on my poppers after I color them. Would an acrylic paint topped with hard as nails be better?

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

2. Default Re: Popper help

I have never painted popper bodies that are bought. As I recall though they have a pretty hard surface. So I would think that a sharpie would not dry very good on that.....I think you are right about getting acrylic paint and coloring them that way! This is a fly that I have tied using foam glued together and then cut into a shape of a popper and you dont have to color them as they are already colored! I hope this helps!

I just painted it with sparkely nail polish..!

Default Re: Popper help

Thanks tamster. That was my suspicion, looks like I will be getting some acrylic paint soon! The pattern I want to create is a little more involved than stacked colored foam. Two different colors, black polka dots on tops, etc...

There are several videos on youTube that might be helpful. The fancy ones use the small airless spray devices.

try som esort of epoxy instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
    try some sort of epoxy instead.
    Yeah
    I put on a coat of epoxy first and then paint..... if I even paint at all.
    Usually just epoxy.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I bought some acrylic paint. I am going to coat with a varnish afterwards. Maybe that will work.

MRL, I just went to the dollar store and bought fingernail polish the kids are using; you know the neon colors they like, works great!

Dan

You might consider fabric paint sold at Michaels, JoAnns and other big craft stores.
    Anthony Hipps uses it on his soft body poppers. The paint is shiny and flexible and very tough. On the Hipps poppers I've used over the years maintenance is tying on new tailing material or glueing an eye back on.

Featured Fly Tiers - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

Thanks for the help guys. I got them painted tonight, hoping to coat them tomorrow before work and finish them off after work tomorrow. I'll post a pic when I get them done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast