You know it's an addiction

jaybo41

Reaction score
...when you're in the grocery store walking through the aisles and spot the feathers on the cat toys. I saw golden pheasant, died turkey flats, peacock eyes, swords, really fine ostrich plumes that almost looked like rhea. My mind started to wander...what could i use these feathers for....but I passed. Think I have an addiction? :icon_lol:

theboz

Reaction score
We are all the same. I remember the first time I knew I was bad . My oldest girl (now 30) wanted a souvenir from the theme park we were at . She got one of those crazy glow in the dark wigs. Me I check the label inside the wig to find out who the manufacturer is so I can get some of the hair to tie flys with.
Ended up buying 10 spools of the material from them.
Addiction no obsession yes.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Fast foward to present day where I buy the same stuff in hanks, it's called flashabou. Haha!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
The other day I was looking at my sisters pomeranian dog and thinking....man, your fur sure would make a nice fox sub. my dad agreed, mom didnt think it was as funny.

la_jolla1

Reaction score
.....when you always carry a nail scissors and zip-lock, in case you see someone in a fur coat....

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I have tied with my African Greys feathers and plan on tying some "hares ear" nymphs with one of my dogs fur as the tail and under fur as dubbing. We have a brush for them called the furminator, pulls out the loose under fur nicely.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
That was talked about already. unless I kill it im not going to pick it up. plus the pickup does a pretty good job at smashing things so it might be alittle bloody HA!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The girlfriend has a horse and so this spring when the winter coat was shedding I gathered up some great material for nymphs from a couple different horses at the barn. :D:D

texastroutbum

Reaction score
There is a shop called Hobbylobby which provides materials for school art projects. Boy... I got there, and it was a heaven.

Another indicator that you are hooked is that whenever I see any type of line attached to a stick, I am trying to make a cast. For instance, I have a hair dryer which has a long electrical cord. In my wife's absence I took the hair dry body as a rod and trying to make a snap t. The heavy electrical cord forms a nice D loop and I stop the rod, I mean the hair dryer, and I saw a wide loop, so kept on practice until she walked into the room.

And i am visiting this website way too often.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember these kind of things well. I believe that as you age with this pastime you will calm down somewhat. I will still bend to snatch up a feather along the river but you reach a point where you will have what you need and will know it. When that time comes fishing and tying won't seem like an addiction or infatuation, it will just be what you do. It is like breathing in a way, you just do it but every now and then we must take a second out to be thankful for life and for this wonderful craft as well.

Ard

kayo

Reaction score
Walking down the Boise river looking for the allusive shedded Heron feather.:icon_smil

wilky

Reaction score
i knew i was addicted when i was seriously considering kidnapping a duck from a duckpond for the feathers and looking at my chickens thinking they wouldnt mind if i plucked a few of there feathers. ( i didnt i ended up buying the duck feathers and the chikens got eaten by a fox)

vincent

Reactions: Ard

texastroutbum

Reaction score
I am sorry about my post. I did not notice that this is tying section.
But I hear you guys.

Another indicator that you are hooked is that whenever I see any type of line attached to a stick, I am trying to make a cast. For instance, I have a hair dryer which has a long electrical cord. In my wife's absence I took the hair dry body as a rod and trying to make a snap t. The heavy electrical cord forms a nice D loop and I stop the rod, I mean the hair dryer, and I saw a wide loop, so kept on practice until she walked into the room.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
In my obviously educated opinion, the snake roll is the best looking casts when it comes to the cords of hair driers and other electrical devices. And by that I mean, TTB, I don't think you need to be sorry for the post, I think it was great. And Jaybo, we can both look completely uneducated in the twohander game this season on the Erie tribs. I plan to embrace it :D

texastroutbum

Reaction score
thanks guys. I tried casting a vacuum cleaner line and learn that an abrupt stop at 11 o’clock will make a nice role casting. Of course I did not use the body of machine as stick. I just try to casting the line with hand. I did it until my wife gave me a “seriously?“ look. Pathetic thing is that I think I am bitten by a spey bug although I do not have one.