Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dubbing Techniques

Default Re: Dubbing Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    Man, I was secretly hoping that was going to be your reply... because now I can share something that may have a big impact on your tying (it did for me).

What if I told you a lifetime supply of the tackiest wax could be had for less than $2.00, and you don't even need to go to a fly shop to buy it? It's a toilet bowl wax ring and it is the only wax that I keep on my desk anymore.

Check it out: Make Your Own Dubbing Wax Toilet ring wax - Global FlyFisher

What a great tip! Looks like I will be stopping at Lowes soon for a ring of toilet wax! Thanks

Ian

I recall when this thread went around on GFF, and even earlier when it went around on the USENET flytying list...

My question then, and again now, is WHO THE HE-double hockey sticks would EVER NEED that much tying wax and do you have any idea what that wax ring is made of?

First, tying wax isn't THAT expensive, and it lasts a LONG time... I have a tube of Overton's I bought over a decade ago and a tube of Gherke's I bought about the same time... and I have a tube of BT's thast I got around 5-6 years ago... ALL of these are at least half full still.

I also bought a container of SORTKWIK... it's this sort of tacky substance they sell at stationery and office supply stores to use on your fingertips when sorting through a stack of paper. It works great for real thin bodies when you use Superfine, alpaca or mole.

Like others have said, if you want a scraggly, scruffy body, nothing beats a dubbing loop and if you wanna go old school, get Polly Rosborough's book "Tying and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs" [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Fishing-Fuzzy-Nymphs-Rosborough/dp/0811718115"]Amazon.com: Tying and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs (9780811718110): E. H. "Polly" Rosborough, Ted Trueblood: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tdPuGjbyL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tdPuGjbyL[/ame] and learn about dubbing noodles. (Mine is a first edition with a dust jacket, some day I'll leave it to someone else)

Short story? Leave the Wax Toilet Rings to the plumbers...

That is a nice looking caddis pattern. Dubbing loops work fine to create a very similar fuzzy look but you have to be happy with the tie and there are so many ways to create in tying.

Quote Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
    I am looking for a dubbing technique that will give me a super buggy look to flies without using sticky dubbing wax. Here's the fly I want to tie, but again...no sticky dubbing wax on hand for me.

Caribou Caddis - YouTube
    Almost EVERYTHING one needs to know about dubbing:

UKFlyDressing - Dubbing Techniques

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post

My question then, and again now, is WHO THE HE-double hockey sticks would EVER NEED that much tying wax...

...I have a tube of Overton's I bought over a decade ago and a tube of Gherke's I bought about the same time... and I have a tube of BT's thast I got around 5-6 years ago... ALL of these are at least half full still.

...I also bought a container of SORTKWIK
    Wow, for a guy that can't understand why someone needs so much wax... you sure own a lot of it yourself!

OK, kidding aside now, most readily available tying waxes are just not sticky enough. I'm not even sure Overton's is available at all anymore.

Long-story-short; dude needed tacky wax, dude wasn't happy with the wax he had, gave him an option. Can't do anything about the amount... if I could have bought one third of a wax ring I would have.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Blog Entries

Loon SWAX works good enough for me. I haven't run into a situation yet where SWAX didn't grab the dubbing enough to give me problems while tying. At $5.00 or whatever it is, and pretty much a lifetime supply I'm pleased with the purchase. Not to mention it pushes up much like lip balm, so doesn't appear to be as messy as the DIY route. If DIY is your thing, enjoy.

I am a big fan of dubbing loops, split thread technique or a dubbing loop for that buggy look in a fly.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

If your looking for a extra tacky wax give RUMPF a go.

Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12