new to fly tying

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
i want to get into fly tying. i was thinking of getting a package and then just buying the thread,hooks,exc. for just tying one fly.

i was thinking about the Griffing 2a package thats on this websites shop. What do you think about it and what im doing.

also whats a good beginner easy wet fly to begin tying.

larrysmith9865

Reaction score
My first set came from wally world, the best part of it is it gives a video with it that talks you through your first ties. It is about 40 dollars but it is a good starter kit.

Happy new year
Larry

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi eaglesfn68,

I have not used the Griffin 2A vise but it looks like a good choice for a beginner. It holds a wide range of hooks. One negative is no rotary ability. The best part of a Griffin vise is they are made in the US by people that fly fish. It is also good that you are supporting a forum sponsor. Below is a picture of the vise and the description by Griffin.

Frank

Superior 2A Vise

Without a doubt, this vise will hold hooks as securely as vises costing three or four times as much. It features:
  • Easy and positive adjustment to hook sizes from the tiny 24's to giant 6/0's.
  • Positive control of pressure to hooks which eliminates hook breakage.
  • This vise is easily converted to right or left hand tiers.
  • The jaws may be set to any angle.
  • Front or rear tension mode.
  • The 3/8" stem breaks down for easy portability.
Made in the USA.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sounds like the 2A vise will last you years-
"
Joe's Comments - I'll fess up. I own one of these. I've tied hundreds, if not thousands of flies on it. I use it with a pedestal base to tie while on the road. You really can't knock a tool that does just what it's supposed to. At first I was a bit concerned about the O-ring counterforce, but after nearly 10 years of use it's been fine. In any situation, replacements are just a hardware store away. Good quality metal in the jaws means this vise is slow to wear out. Perhaps its greatest downfall is that you won't be able to wear it out for an excuse for a new one. Do what I did - just call it a 'back up' and explain to your significant other that a real fly fisher has a back-up for everything! Seriously, this is all most tiers will need. I seriously miss rotability in the head, but what do you want for a Grant?
Joe's Rating - 2.90
"
From- Griffin Superior 2A Fly Tying Vise Review

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
what exactly is a rotary and wont ill have to spend a good amount of money on them.

Alex Guthrie

Reaction score
I Totally Agree With Larry - Get An Inexpensive Kit With An Interactive Vcr Or Dvd And See How You Like It. I Started With A Dave Whitlock Kit That Had All The Tools, Materials, And Vcr Several Years Ago $35.00. I Just Upgraded The Vice (regal) And I Think The Original Investment Was Well Worth It. I Wouldn't Have Felt Like I Wasted A Lot Of Money If It Didn't Take.

Good Luck With Your Tying.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
i want to get into fly tying. i was thinking of getting a package and then just buying the thread,hooks,exc. for just tying one fly.

i was thinking about the Griffing 2a package thats on this websites shop. What do you think about it and what im doing.

also whats a good beginner easy wet fly to begin tying.

Eaglesfan68,

I love the excitment that yourself and others have for wanting to learn to tie.

If you have never tied before, I would find a local shop and see if they have a beginner class, you can use their equipment/ materials, get some good hands on experience and advice that will make things much easier.

There is a learning curve, having someone show you the basics can save alot of time and money, also you may find a new fishin buddy.

If there are no shops near, then keep an eye in the paper and you may see someone offering classes.
J.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
...also whats a good beginner easy wet fly to begin tying.

Hi eaglesfn68,

There are two flies I recommend for the first fly to tye. That is the Soft Hackle fly and the Wooly Worm. I like these two flies because they are easy to tye and they have most of the basic techniques. The Soft Hackle fly has a body, a head, and a hackle to wrap. Three things that are easy to do and you need to learn first.

The Wooly Worm is a great fly and it teaches you to palmer a fly. Here is a link to instructions for tying the Wooly Worm. Two things they don't show is a tail or a herl back. After you can tye one like they show try using a little red wool butt/tail. Then try tying in a few strains of herl at the butt of the fly and pull them over the back and tye off at the head. You do this before you palmer the fly. Let me know when you are ready and I will give you a recipe.

Frank

Kaufmann's Soft Hackle

Wooly Worm

BigCliff

Reaction score
That is the Soft Hackle fly and the Wooly Worm. I like these two flies because they are easy to tye and they have most of the basic techniques.
There's another reason Frank left out I'd like to throw in. THEY WORK REALLY WELL AT CATCHING FISH!!! If there's 2 flies out there that are semi-forgotten magic flies, its those 2.

Just didn't want you to think you're tying stuff that's not effective.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cliff, it was so obvious to me that I forgot to mention they catch fish. That is one of the prime reasons I recommend them.

Frank