Hook Quality, bad batch or bad brand

comeonavs

Reaction score
I just started tying a few weeks ago , so not trying to rip on this mfg. I was sold some Montana Fly Company 7026 dry fly hooks. Last night I was tying some RS-2 in a size 18. Man those hook shanks bend so easy. Litterally I was dubbing and not with a lot of pressure / force and several bent.I have noticed with Dai-Riki, Tiemco that they will bend but this seemed way to light of pressure to cause it to bend.

I even stuck a hook in the vice , put my finger under the eye and pressed up. I started super lightly and didnt increase much before it started bending.

Bad hook mfg / bad batch of hooks ????

Jackster

Reaction score
I just started tying a few weeks ago , so not trying to rip on this mfg. I was sold some Montana Fly Company 7026 dry fly hooks. Last night I was tying some RS-2 in a size 18. Man those hook shanks bend so easy. Litterally I was dubbing and not with a lot of pressure / force and several bent.I have noticed with Dai-Riki, Tiemco that they will bend but this seemed way to light of pressure to cause it to bend.

I even stuck a hook in the vice , put my finger under the eye and pressed up. I started super lightly and didnt increase much before it started bending.

Bad hook mfg / bad batch of hooks ????
Dry fly hooks are generally made of finer wire to keep the weight down and help the dry fly float. Could you be comparing dry fly hooks to stronger and heavier nymph hooks or maybe you got a mixed up batch from MFC. The 7026 is either a 2XL heavy wire hook or 2XL nymph hook. Their 7022 is a light wire dry fly hook that may have found their way into the wrong package.
Montana Fly Company
Maybe someone on here has both and could measure the shank diameters for you.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thanks guys....mystery solved for now , it was a bad batch.

I took them back to the fly shop he bent one in the vice easily. So we grabbed and identcal pack and night and day difference in the hook strength.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Good to hear you got your issue solved. Nothing is more frustrating than a broken or badly bent hook. I had a couple of issues with this years ago and now tie pretty much exclusively with TMC and Daiichi and some old stock of Mustad 3906's. Throw in some Partridge and Gamakatsu in to the mix for good measure. Not trying to knock anyone for using different brands or the manufacturers themselves just that I have found these to be the most reliable and have the consistent quality. The downside is they are more expensive but I look for deals when I can get them.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Good to hear you got your issue solved. Nothing is more frustrating than a broken or badly bent hook. I had a couple of issues with this years ago and now tie pretty much exclusively with TMC and Daiichi and some old stock of Mustad 3906's. Throw in some Partridge and Gamakatsu in to the mix for good measure. Not trying to knock anyone for using different brands or the manufacturers themselves just that I have found these to be the most reliable and have the consistent quality. The downside is they are more expensive but I look for deals when I can get them.
I'm just frustrated since being new to tying this is a whole other world. It is so frustrating to go to one shop annd they tell you that Dai-Riki is their most popular selling brand and they use them with no complaints. Then at the next shop its all Tiemco all the time. I am not destitute by any means but Ive got $700 in to tying in the first 3 weeks. Granted I got the Peak Rotary and good tools, a few bobbins, 15 spools thread, many spools of wire, tinsel, feathers, z-lon, poly yarn , 500 hooks and as many brass beads plus every dub you would need to tie all the nymphs, midges and emergers I tend to use.

Point being if I bought 500 Tiemco hooks I would have another $150 in to it as well.

I caught scads of fish the other day on a Dai-Riki 135 size 18 with no issues, I just dont want that in the back of my mind going "did I tie a bunch of junk" ?

Also my bro-in law fishes with me alot so I went and bought a Simms box that holds like 22 doz that I am filling up for Christmas with flies Ive tied. So one side is all blue poison tung, jujubee, zebra midges, RS-2 etc etc. The other side of the box will be full of Rainbow warriors, PT,Hares Ear, Barr Emerger, Lightening bugs etc etc. I am about 65% done filling the box up and dont want to think "what if I tied him junk" Ive already pulled 3 dozen out and redid them since I didnt like the way they looked. Granted I caught fish on those 3 dozen so they worked they just didnt look "perfect"

jaybo41

Reaction score
That's why YOUR opinion based on your OWN experiences is more important than mine or the other fly shops. There are lots of Dai-Riki fans, my local shop sells a ton of them. They are a good value for sure and likely for trout, probably not going to give you issues. I wouldn't over think it at this point. Use what you have on hand, fish the heck out of 'em and see what you think. If they hold up well, keep buying them. If they don't make a change. If you want to see the difference, buy a pack of Daiichi or TMC to compare.

BTW, nice choice in the Peak, I have the same one. It has served me well and is really a great value. Building up your supply of materials takes time. I can understand why you'd want to save a few bucks when you can.

You could always put them up for sale if you don't feel good about using them or donate them to something sort of tying/fishing club. Maybe even Project Healing Waters?

Reactions: Ard

comeonavs

Reaction score
That's why YOUR opinion based on your OWN experiences is more important than mine or the other fly shops. There are lots of Dai-Riki fans, my local shop sells a ton of them. They are a good value for sure and likely for trout, probably not going to give you issues. I wouldn't over think it at this point. Use what you have on hand, fish the heck out of 'em and see what you think. If they hold up well, keep buying them. If they don't make a change. If you want to see the difference, buy a pack of Daiichi or TMC to compare.

BTW, nice choice in the Peak, I have the same one. It has served me well and is really a great value. Building up your supply of materials takes time. I can understand why you'd want to save a few bucks when you can.

You could always put them up for sale if you don't feel good about using them or donate them to something sort of tying/fishing club. Maybe even Project Healing Waters?

Thanks Jaybo, I will stck with what I have , and most of my fishing is high country brookie chasing with the occasional 14-16" brown thrown in. I guess if Ive never had issues with $.50 and $.99 flies online I dont know why these would fail.

No need to donate at this time, I am actually hooked on tying flies. I am a little type A. Started golfing at age 18, was teaching at 22, snowskiing started at 10 racing at 14....raced bmx etc etc things that challenge me drive me nuts til I figure it out.

Maybe Ill tie up a scad and donate them to wounded warriors / healing water....nice call on that.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Also my bro-in law fishes with me alot so I went and bought a Simms box that holds like 22 doz that I am filling up for Christmas with flies Ive tied. So one side is all blue poison tung, jujubee, zebra midges, RS-2 etc etc. The other side of the box will be full of Rainbow warriors, PT,Hares Ear, Barr Emerger, Lightening bugs etc etc. I am about 65% done filling the box up and dont want to think "what if I tied him junk" Ive already pulled 3 dozen out and redid them since I didnt like the way they looked. Granted I caught fish on those 3 dozen so they worked they just didnt look "perfect"
Wow, that gift is going to blow your brother-in-law out of the water. How do I get on your xmas list! :D:D

jcw355

Reaction score
I bought some flies online before that had some bad hooks. I contacted them and they replaced them with new flies. It was a good name brand hook as well. Daiichi. I still buy from them because of the good customer service.

mojo

Reaction score
Joni has been tying with Allen hooks lately. Which means she ties double- for me and her. Less expensive, and haven't had any problems so far. For what they cost, you might want to think about giving them a shot sooner or later.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Joni has been tying with Allen hooks lately. Which means she ties double- for me and her. Less expensive, and haven't had any problems so far. For what they cost, you might want to think about giving them a shot sooner or later.

i was literally just looking at their website. When I burn through the 500 Dai-Riki hooks on my desk I will definitely give it a shot.

500 wont take long as I am learning so tying tons. Next weekend me and 2 guys are taking our annual pilgrimage to Wyoming for a long day of fishing (3hr drive). Ive tied and am tying us up each 1/2 dozen of the usual suspects for this spot. PT,Cadds Pupa, RS2, Zebra midge,Prince Nymph , Copper Johns all in various sizes. So they will each get a few dozen.