Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

Reaction score
Back in december i got the notion to start tying these flies.
With a little help from a few forum members i got started with a Jock Scott

Here it is. Jock Scott on a 3/0 Alec Jackson salmon iron

Since then, i've been working though classic wet flies, streamers to finally get back to tying the atlantic salmon flies well - or better than the first above.
There have been many between then and now, some ok, most pretty bad, some of which i've posted in separate threads on the forums.

This is but the latest in my quest to tie perfect flies.

Fenian 2/0 from Pryce-Tannatt

I'll post more as i tie them in the this thread, rather than in separate threads for each fly.

Hope you like, and most of all, i hope some of you get inspired to start learning the skills to tie these awesome flies!

Eunan

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the Jock Scott is going to be a tie that you always look back on and admire. I still have unused flies that I made in the period 1978 - 1983 that I can not replicate. I've seen many of the flies you've posted and believe the Jock Scott has a certain charm that will be hard to out do.

Ard

wt bash

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reckon you hit your stride with that beauty!!! I hope you got a frame all set up cause that should go up over the mantle right next to the soon to be caught on that fly Salar!

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
Those are dang good looking. Well done, especially on the bronze mallard roof. Those roofs are hard for me. I'm envious of your mad skills.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, more to come. Still a work in progress...

Those are dang good looking. Well done, especially on the bronze mallard roof. Those roofs are hard for me. I'm envious of your mad skills.
Couple different ways to do it. I watched about 10 videos online and looked at a number of different SBS's, then i finally butchered all of them to get a technique that works....you just have to persist and eventually it clicks.

Reaction score
Think i'd like it on a slighly longer hook to flatten out the wing a bit.

This is a 1/0 generic gaelic supreme blind eye. Same gape as the Harrison bartleet, though blunter and flatter point, as well as being about a quarter of inch shorter.

Should have lined up the bars on the tippet with the butt....

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You are on a roll here, very nice! I have just enough flies to finish the year and then will have to start tying when the snow flies.

Reaction score
Had a crack at this one on a Ronn Lucas 3/0 Milward Bartleet.

Think i'd like the wing to sit lower at the back, the current height probably a consequence of an overly thick body, which i did try to taper off at the front.The tail might be too high/long as well. i also just noticed the JC arent aligned in the photo, but are in actuality parallel to eachother. The tippets could be better aligned too.

THis is essentially the Maxwell pattern (apparently from Salmon and Sea Trout, though i couldnt find it in my edition), which I found in Radencich new book. There was no photo of this fly in the book.
Kinda maxwell, because i added a topping which wasnt listed in Mike book, but ive since discovered it is actually part of the fly, and i left off the chenille head as i didnt have any narrow enough to fit. I also used seals fur instead of pigs wool for the body

Eunan

theboz

Reaction score
Eunan that pattern is so beautiful . It's magnificent! Using that fly to actually fish is the equivalent of me using my 1969 autographed World Series ball to play sand lot baseball! (I did so I guess I would!)Wow!

Reaction score
Big fly.

Tried to work along the lines of Ronn Lucas' style for this one (short tails and toppings leaving the back open), but failed.
I couldnt get the toppings flat enough for the tail and it looks like this one is a bit too long also.
I'd like it to either have a flatter and shorter tail, or a bit more curve to the topping to even out the curves - as is it i just looks a bit off.

Other than that i'm pretty happy with this one.
I worked from a couple sources for the pattern, and depending which you look at, the rib hackle either starts from the butt or the second turn of tinsel. Also, some listings dont have any teal mentioned in the tail or for the throat. In the end i decided to go with a throat as is just seemed right.

Anyways.

Comments and critique much appreciated as always! Included a photo with the wee Paddy 1/0 i tied a while back for size reference.

Eunan

Paddy 1/0 and Lady Amherst 6/0

Last edited:

gatortransplant

Reaction score
If that one looks off to you I'd better reevaluate all of my tying ;) I would love to see someone catch a tarpon on that fly, but I'd imagine it wouldn't hold up well to such thrashing? Just out of curiosity, how durable are such flies with regard to fishing use (not that I believe myself capable of willing myself to fish one, rather than just displaying it).

Reaction score
If that one looks off to you I'd better reevaluate all of my tying ;) I would love to see someone catch a tarpon on that fly, but I'd imagine it wouldn't hold up well to such thrashing? Just out of curiosity, how durable are such flies with regard to fishing use (not that I believe myself capable of willing myself to fish one, rather than just displaying it).
I tie them with enough wraps and tons of wax to hold materials in place.
They will fish, but, do you want to fish a fly it takes 3-4 hours to tie?